Friday, February 15, 2008

Performance on Broadway with Blue Apple Players

One of the great rules of life as presented in the Bible is that you and I should treat others as we want to be treated. Another great rule of life from the Bible is the teaching that it is more blessed to give then receive. A personal application for me in life is that being good to folks; even those we don’t know should be standard treatment policy. Giving of ourselves is also a part of that application. Using our talents as God given and developed bring peace and confidence in our relationship to Him, knowing He has a plan and it is still working.
The weekend of February 22; 23; will be an exciting time for me as I have been invited by the Blue Apple Players in Louisville, Kentucky to participate in their yearly Broadway Production of selected musicals performed throughout the year by their performers and cast members. The difference during this event weekend is that the Producers have invited special guest from all across Kentucky to take the lead roles in their various numbers, of which I have been asked to participate by singing from the musical, “The Greatest Hero’s”.
Last year I participated and sang from the Musical “The Cumberland Gap”. I sang the lead song, “The Cumberland Gap” a song about the early pioneers who traveled to that unique corner of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia and the words represented their experience of seeing the Cumberland Gap for the first time in their lives. My 5th Great-Grandfather John H. Bingham crossed The Cumberland Gap with Daniel Boone and the ancestors of my 2nd Great-Grandfather Thomas Jefferson Mills followed from North Carolina, so the song had personal meaning not to mention the pride I have and share about the Historical Cumberland Gap and her importance to America. Dr. Thomas Walker named everything after the Duke of Cumberland so we who live here in the mountains have much to be excited about because of Dr. Walker’s discovery in Bell County at that unique three state area. We got not just the Cumberland Gap, but the Cumberland Mountains, the Cumberland Ford, the Cumberland Plateau, the Cumberland River, the Cumberland Falls, and the list of Cumberland’s just goes on and on.
This year’s song is about what makes someone a hero. Not sure what your characteristics would be if you named them, but I’ve got some thoughts and the song I will be performing on Broadway with the Blue Apple Players is on target with what really makes a hero.
The song, “The Greatest Hero’s” is about treating others as you want to be treated, which is good Bible teaching. Giving up a place in line; extending a helping; being considerate of what others would feel if they heard what you said; all great starters and landing spots for one’s life. Real heroes do without thinking of the cost to themselves which makes them real givers and not takers. The songs says to often in life heroes are the winning quarter backs of football games, or the guys that hit the grand slams in a baseball game, and the question for each of us to answer is what will we say at the end about the life we have lived, will it measure up to real hero standards and not just the worlds view of someone popular that did something we all remember?
Tough question I know, but this is a perfect time for me as I am going to perform this musical number on Broadway to ask myself, what will be said of the way I have given of myself, used my talents, and spent my energy? I pray that the characteristics I believe to be valuable will be able to be applied to my life at the end. My hero is Jesus, I have no other that can forgive sins, re-establish and set one up on solid rocks out of sticky clay. The world offers plenty of heroes to choose from. Some select as their hero’s in life jobs; other perceived family status; positions in the community; authority over others; money held in a bank or salary paid; Lots of choices the world offers if you are looking for a hero, but I would strongly suggest you consider a friend that will always walk beside you and never leave you or forsake you. His name is Jesus.
Until then

No comments: