Thursday, March 6, 2008

There shall be Showers of Blessings

The Christian faith has many songs, hymns, and choruses that serve as a means of inspiration, encouragement and truth to life. One of those particular hymns that I’m thinking of in my mind at this time is the hymn, “There shall be showers of blessings.” The basis of this hymn of faith is that throughout our lives as Christians, the Lord Jesus Christ will shower down upon us blessings from the windows of Heaven. Recently I have been reminded of the great truths of God’s word through music and I can say I have experienced “showers of blessings”, through worship and in seeing friends.
In travels I discovered a “shower of blessing” in seeing Alan Scruggs at the First Baptist Church Woodstock, Georgia. Alan is the booking agent for Charles Billingsley and serves as his traveling pastor during tours. Alan and I partnered together when he was a youth pastor serving in Bunscomb, North Carolina. He helped me with the vision of providing Backyard Bible Clubs throughout Bell County when I served as pastor of the Bethlehem Baptist Church of Dorton Branch. Alan made sure that we had a singing group to provide a live concert for each of the housing projects. Just remembering how God had used us in those services was a blessing.
Another “shower of blessing” was in the City of Birmingham, Alabama, where I caught up with my great friend Dr. Ric T. Edwards, a lay leader for The Church at Brook Hills, with Dr. David Platt, pastor. Ric and I became friends while attending Cumberland College in Williamsburg. We were elected by the student body as president and vice-president of the Student Government Association and have remained friends for the past 25 years. The Church at Brook Hills is a different experience from your traditional church setting, the preaching of God’s word is a very open and honest conversation as presented from God’s Word. Dr. Platt and I share mutual friends through his seminary experience at New Orleans, in addition to friends through church ministries and mission endeavors. Dr. Edwards and his wife, Meg are committed Christians who love talking to folks about “taking the journey”, which is reading God’s word. Ric is a champion of asking, “Have you ever read the Bible through?” If you have never read the entire Bible through, on behalf of one of my “showers of blessings”, this is a perfect time to take that journey.
Two Rivers Baptist Church in Nashville, Tennessee is one of the largest churches in the state and is located across from the Grand Ole Opry. I dropped in unannounced to attend services and to see Michael L Wilson. Mike serves on staff directing the ministry of young adults. On the Sunday I attended after the opening number from the praise band, to my total surprise, the next worship element I witnessed was Mike in the waters of baptism baptizing two adults. It was a “shower of blessings” moment for me. God had used me at the Horse Creek Road Baptist Church in Corbin, KY to open a door of opportunity for this college student entering into ministry and now 15 years later, at the state’s largest church, here he was, leading folks to Jesus. After services, the first thing Michael said was, “Hello pastor, come a long way since the creek huh?” To which my answer was, “God is good.”
I’m not sure if you’ve counted your blessings lately. I’m not sure if you’ve considered if you might be in the midst of “showers of blessings”. For me, there is no doubt. I have been in one. I’ve enjoyed the blessings of God as demonstrated through the gift of friendships and just being a part of the shared life and experiences of others.
I’m not sure what your outlook on life is, but the chorus phrase of this song adds, “there shall be showers of blessings, this is the PROMISE of God.”

Until then

1 comment:

Baker said...

It was great to see you last Thursday; that was MY "shower of blessing".

-#1