Sunday, September 6, 2009

September 11, 2001 - "One source for Peace"

The United States stands in memory and memorial regarding September 11, 2001. (9-11). Individuals who are baby boomers and who have the full experience of that generation group, having moments to recall of significance are many. Certainly some individuals might not have an emphasis on events, and if that is the case, I suspect that is do to a lack of involvement in following news or staying current on civic events daily.
Our world today stands among the many winds that blow and our world takes hits daily across the globe. The only fear I have today is not one that regards life after death, as that I settled back in 1972. We’ve all heard of that that consider themselves to be an island off in their own world and that is my fear. Growing up as a teenager and young adult, I have had my moments where I considered that my actions and decisions had to deal with only myself, and that my work had to do with only me. Not sure how I could have developed such a childish point of view, but nevertheless, it happened on different occasions and I guess I should be thankful that my parents overlooked my self position and viewed me as I was, a long way off from growing up.
The decisions we make daily have an impact. Yes, some of the decisions are simple and have no profound impact on our surroundings, but other decisions and actions that we engage in have a wide range of impacts and this should be safe guarded. Consider others is not the easiest thing to do from a stubborn heart position, but when individual have character and integrity proper motives always shine through in their actions as we observe.
9-11 is a moment that causes America and the world to stop and pause, including reflection regarding the actions of others. The history books should reflect that this day had both of the affects of individual actions and decisions. Positive and Negative both flow for the decisions of others and how we reflect and evaluate determines the memory we pass on to the next generation. My youngest niece is not old enough to remember the events of that day, but she will be living out the experience and direct outcome from that day for her remaining life. The words that cover the period of time have now changed our conversations forever. Some individuals who never consider the world outside our boarders now take a moment to hear what is happen in the remaining world throughout their day. It is important, many have learned, to know sometimes what is happening a”cross the street and down the road”.
Protecting our freedoms is not just our government’s task or responsibility, but rather, it is our individual responsibilities to protect and care for ourselves and even those of others. Considering what is the best step to peace and harmony would begin with an inward look into our hearts. As a Christian I don’t always agree with every other Christian in the world but one thing I know for certain. If every professing Christian in the world took time to love our neighbors as our selves and if we also gave like time to pray for our enemies, I do believe we would have many more positive moments to remember in life than negative heart breaking situations.
There is a peace that passes all understanding, and it come from only one source, Him-Jesus.

Until then

No comments: