Sunday, November 15, 2009

Rev William Bingham, Jr; Dr. Charles F. Jones; Dr. Leon Simpson; Dr. Harold Wortman; Dr. Sammuel Patterson; THANKS!

This annual Season of Thanksgiving that allows each of us to participate in showing our appreciation and thanks to others for what they have done and meant to us is always exciting. For me this is an official type of way that I can acknowledge the contribution my life has received because of their friendship, influence and investment.
As one ages our understanding of what is important or valuable changes, especially from, let’s say our teenage years. One great factor that arrives with age for most adults is the realization of how little we really did know growing up, yet all along thinking we knew the answer and exactly what to do.
One truth in my life that I am not allowing for guess work this Thanksgiving Season is my love for Jesus Christ. I could assume that everyone figures that without question since this column is about Jesus Christ, His scripture, and their impact on our lives and the application of His truths to our lives in the way we serve others.
Naming my mentors in Christianity are simple: Rev. William Boyd Bingham, Jr, my uncle; Dr. Charles F. Jones my pastor for 32 years; Dr. Samuel B. Patterson, Jr; Bishop AME Zion, Morristown, TN; Dr. Leon Simpson, President Clear Creek Baptist Bible College; Dr. Harold Wortman, Chairman Music Department, Cumberland College-Williamsburg, KY; There men were the base of my accountability, instruction, and confidants. From them I learned the foundation of faith I have in Jesus Christ, service to others, vision and sacrifice. From this group of men I learned to lean in the safe arms of Jesus Christ, learning from them to prepare for rough seasons, difficult times, and challenging decisions. Each of these mentors wanted me to have nothing but easy winds to navigate the seas of life, but they knew that harvesting was a tough row to hoe and if you were any value to God the devil would use his free reign to discourage you with all his strength, seeking like a roaring lion that he may devour you.
Today I continue to hold deep appreciation and respect for the men that made a difference in me for His cause, but I hold my deepest appreciation for Jesus Christ who has always held me. This past Sunday in church one of our hymns and songs of thanks said, “He knows my name, He hears me when I call”. That confidence is one that fills dark nights, rainy seasons, and difficult times. I can hear my Uncle “W” saying to me, stay positive, look for the good. I can hear my pastor explaining that we have all sinned but that God picks us up when we cannot for the weight of life. “Ben” as I called Dr. Patterson would give me a quote like, “If there prayers go up, the blessings will come down”, or he would say I think it’s time to sing, and break out into, “Call Him Up”. Dr. Leon Simpson I can hear telling me how the difficulties of life are tools we must learn to use to help others, and I can hear him say, where there is no vision, the people are dead, the perishing is just the last phase of deaths course. “Doc”, my trusted instructor of 17 years, taught me the importance of singing with passion, understanding the words that are melody to the ear, and making them the music of my heart.
My beginning Thanks this Season begins with Jesus Christ. It is He who provided me with caring mentors who saw me at my worse and easily saw the hand of God not finished. It is Jesus who gave me men to teach me His word, and to hide it in my heart. It is Christ Jesus who gave me a well of resources for different times and situations and who never allowed the well to run dry.

Until then

1 comment:

momma moore #3 said...

Preacher, glad to see you are still preaching what you believe. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, as our family was together and had a great day. Great column!!
Momma Moore #3