Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mae Bingham - remembered for her faith and love

I find myself as I grow older reflecting upon my own life through the eyes of impact of others who have influenced me. Writing about people and their lives because of faith has become a task I enjoy and the comments of readers are certainly encouragement for my efforts in the goal of making our world a better place because of our faith in Jesus Christ.
Writing the name William Boyd Bingham, Jr., and mentioning a church known as simply Binghamtown, creates immediate name recognition and identity with a mountain pastor who served for 54 years proclaiming the truth of God’s Word. His faithful companion of life was his wife Mae, who never left his side, drove him thousands of miles and supported her husband in his calling to serve people in the name of Jesus. Family has always been extremely important to me, and Uncle “W” and Aunt Mae made a difference as a team and individually. In honor and memory of her passing on Friday, June 25, 2010, I want to share in celebrating her life of impact through this column.
As a child I remember being at Uncle “W” and Aunt Mae’s home riding ponies. Not sure why they had a pony, but I remember loving the opportunity to ride it. Actually I have a picture of my sister Bridget, my brother Jim, Jr., and I all on that pony riding around the church parsonage in Middlesboro. The fun memories of a child are never lost with age, and the love expressed by adults to children are also never forgotten. Aunt Mae will be remembered by many as the devoted wife of Preacher Bingham, but she was much more behind the scenes to so many, sacrificing for others, and exercising her Christian faith too.
Aunt Mae filled the shoes for children who had no parents treating them just as her own children, if not even better. My Aunt, Imogene (Jean) Mills, stayed with Uncle “W” and Aunt Mae when they lived on Walnut Street in Pineville. Uncle “W” ran a grocery store where today stands the Bell Whitley Building before he became Pastor at Binghamtown. She lived with them in Middlesboro while attending Business School. Aunt Mae’s children at the time were Conley, Bonita, and Gary but one more was not a problem. Aunt Jean told me, “Timmy, Uncle “W” only made $225 a month and Aunt Mae would take me to school and pick me up everyday.” My mother’s memories include visiting the grocery store and presenting her glass of cracked walnuts and Uncle “W” always giving her a $1.00 upon every visit. “That was a lot of money back then”, my mother shared. During a revival at Young Grove on Road Fork in Stinking Creek, Uncle “W” was preaching and my mother started crying. Aunt Mae moved next to her and said, “Bernadine what’s wrong?” Mother said she realized she wasn’t a Christian and she would never see her mother and she wanted to become a Christian. It was Aunt Mae that went to the altar and prayed with my mother as she became a believer through faith at 15 years of age. My grandmother was only 19 years old when she died, my mother was just weeks old and Aunt Jean was 3 years of age. My heart is full of joy and thanks because my Aunt Mae lived a life of faith and she wasn’t afraid to be a supporter or to step out and lead.
Personally, Aunt Mae always encouraging me and her impact will never be forgotten. In eternity one day I will see her sweet smile and feel her soft touch again.

Until then

No comments: