Sunday, September 26, 2010

Nasty Taste or Perfect Mix

The bitterness of life has a nasty taste. It can be further stated that the aftertaste can remain for a long time on the taste buds too. There are many things that offer up the unsavory things of life. Some of these ‘meal creations’ we create on our own. When my grandmother Stella Mills would whip up some of her biscuits or even better yet some homemade syrup all I can say is it was great! But that great taste came through years of perfecting the art of throwing flour, eggs, salt and other ingredient together and mixing them with her unique fist roll. I am extremely confident that grandmother’s cooking was not always so great. I can imagine as a little girl she watched her mother and my great-grandmother cooking as a child, observing the process. Gradually I suspect they began to hand over a few details until grandma could prepare a meal all by herself.
As a child I know my first love of the kitchen began to really grow when my mother would be mixing up a cake. I always made sure I had frequent stops in the kitchen when that was happening so I could hear my mother ask if I’d like to lick the spoon. Now we are talking right? If you are not smiling as you read this you must be allergic to cakes or never been asked to clean up the cake batter mix with your finger. I guess there must be something that separates all of us apart from the other and if that childhood experience is my stepping stone I’ll accept it gladly knowing I also have the extra pounds to show just how many of those special clean up jobs I’ve taken care of.
Focusing on the toughness of life is another experience that no doubt sets people apart. One fact for sure, we’ve all had some bitter tasting moments that we had rather not experienced. I could wager my left foot that all of us know of moments that just make you sick because of things that must be dealt with. Tasting the moments of life individually I personally would not recommend. It’s like tasting the individual ingredients that make up biscuits. Buttermilk alone could be good but I never could drink that all alone. I love a fried egg but raw I never could stomach. Salt is ok of course but that’s just one item out of several, which is much like life. When we are experiencing tough moments we should not try to swallow all of it at once. Chocking was never a favorite experience of mine either. Life sometimes is like trying a new food. Taste just a little and see what you think before you take a big ole bite. In cooking all the good cooks always taste their food as they prepare the meal. Adding just a little of this or pinch of that to create the perfect dish for enjoyment.
Today you could have experienced a perfect day in your books, but tomorrow heartache maybe just around the corner. The test for our skills tomorrow is to remember yesterday was a good day and this bad today we are having will be over in a few hours and we have a new opportunity with the next sunrise. Many individuals will let a single bad taste or experience keep them from ever trying something different or believing that a bunch of single “not so great tasting items” mixed together can come out right, but it can.
Romans 8:28 says that “God works all things out together to the good, for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose”. You may not always like every moment of every day but one bad day a week is nothing. One bad week a month is nothing and even one bad month a year is a small fraction of time when you look at the big picture. Don’t give up, keep pressing on and give a little time for everything to mix together and then you may find yourself going back to the kitchen waiting, watching and looking for the good stuff.

Until then

No comments: