Sunday, May 15, 2011

Focusing on Him

I am not quite sure if I should be writing an article about winter, spring time or what? With all the rain that has fallen and all the flooding taking place, that would certainly be an easy enough subject to write about. With Easter, Mother’s Day passed and Memorial Day on her way I am finding myself checking the weather several times before I leave home each morning. Not that I’m sugar or anything, I’m not expecting to melt if it rains that’s for sure, but I would like to be protected if I can.
The wearing of a good hat could work, but my struggle there is do I wear a straw hat or a felt hat. A good straw hat works great for the wind and sun, but if it’s raining I shall find my head wet no doubt. The weather has been crazy and the happenings of life have been in a fast spin. One minute we are fighting a war on terror and the next minute the President of the United States is announcing that Osama Bin laden has been killed. It is amazing how long 10 years can be isn’t it? Just think, there are children that have never known a world without hearing that name daily. Yes, the United States has plenty to keep it occupied for the remaining day of 2011. I am sure there will be new developments but we’ve got plenty of old stuff to keep us going without any effort at creating new moments.
In each of our lives we all face these fast pace moments and changes in a twinkling of an eye. Today we are health, bright eyed and bushy tail, and tomorrow we can just as easily be struggling in a hospital room fighting for our lives. Today we can be full of spirit and dreaming to the highest heights, and tomorrow have lost all our get up and go for living and making a difference. Yes, strange how we each respond to the happenings around us and we never know until we are called upon to react just how we will respond.
Today there are some things for certain that we can know that could provide us peace throughout these ups and down if we would be willing to believe. Battling the down side of life is never fun, but scripture tells us there is ONE that will walk beside us each step of the way. Now if you are anything like me, I have been known to be having a conversation with someone and my mind goes totally out the window, so to speak. I’ve been with people at a table and lost my place in what’s happening around me to where I couldn’t recall what was just said. Given these truths that could and have probably happened to each of us at some time or another, it is just as possible that He, Jesus, is walking beside us and we are totally unaware.
Scripture tells us that He loves us. It is always nice to talk about love, but to experience it is the real key. When was the last moment you were at a spot where you just felt like not taking another step forward because no one cared, and someone reminded you that you mattered and they cared? I am reminded of Jeremy Hollingsworth is one of those type of reminders. Jeremy was just a young child in children’s ministry when I first met him. I am so grateful God place me at Bethlehem Baptist Church of Dorton Branch. There I was able to experience Jeremy and his heart which is filled with innocence and genuine love. So blessed was I hear him say, “Brother Tim” and be reminded of at least one life changed.
The Bible gives you and I plenty of encouragement. Scripture not only comforts but it also challenges us to believe and see outside of ourselves. He loves us, and that’s what really matters. He has a plan for us, and that’s what really matters. He never leaves us alone, and that’s what really matters.
The world is ever changing and the world stage is revolving faster than you can sometimes hold on. But, if we fix our eyes on Jesus, even as the world spins we should not become ill but rather discover the things of this world growing strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.
Until then

No comments: