Saturday, November 12, 2011

Elections-Responsibilty-Duty

Kentucky has just experienced another statewide election. All elections are important and I take a sense of personal pride in knowing that I have never missed a single election process. Be it a special election, primary or general election, I have enjoyed exercising my legal right and what I also consider a personal responsibility to vote. I have friends that do not take very seriously the responsibility and privilege of voting in America. I have struggled and will continue to struggle with attempting to understand what individuals think that do not vote.
I can think of many issues that would cause me to desire to exercise my right to vote. I enjoy praying, and I don’t believe that right should be removed as a free choice and exercised right. The United States of America is a Nation that was founded upon the Bible, God’s Holy Word. His name is inscribed on the buildings of the United States Supreme Court, and throughout the historical documents his wisdom has been invoked, sought after and prayed for. Our Presidents take their oath of office with their hand placed upon the Holy Scriptures of Jesus Christ yet, no longer can a school district have a moment of prayer before a sporting event or program. Yes, all these concerns and others reasons serve me as motivation to participate in democracy.
The frustration as to why folks don’t want to be a part of the mess of politics I understand. Yes, things are a mess, but I would suggest they are a mess because good folks have stood by and done nothing. Individuals have decided best just to not get involved, and then been chief complainers once something was done. In my opinion that’s not the way we should be. Are we always going to agree with each other? No. Are different opinions and points of view important to hear and consider? Absolutely they are. Should status quo be maintained just because this is the way it has always been? Again, no to this question too. Being involved in the debate of issues is important and being involved in the lives of individuals is most important for those who profess the name of Jesus as Savior and Lord. Making a difference is not about just putting out a position paper, sharing your belief or telling someone this is what they should do. Involvement is a personal decision about sharing ourselves, our struggles and successes so the wisdom of experience can be properly applied to the next decision we are about to make.
The elected politicians of today can learn from Jesus. We constituents are in this group that can learn too. Jesus may have had a different opinion but he never closed the door of conversation, even with His enemies. Jesus saw someone in need and looked to see what He could do to make a difference and He did, without thought to His own life first. Jesus saw the possessions He had as working tools and if used properly they could help to built up another man’s life and family. Jesus told the truth. He didn’t tell the truth in a mean spirited way but He told the truth out of love and concern. Imagine what would happen if the political figures of today had that type of genuine spirit toward others. Jesus was never afraid to get involved. An individual who was hurt and lived in pain He was interested in. Someone who felt harmed or wronged He would hear them out. Jesus was no electable to public office, no He was put to death by lying testimony, judges that acted cowardly and unruly mobs. Yet, through all that, He still believed the positive side of folks even when they were showing their worse.
Voting may not be important to you but it is to me. As a Christian I feel compelled to vote and to do my best with what I have. I believe the lack of voter turn-out in Kentucky General Election is a disgrace to the men in women who have fought and continue to fight for democracy. For Christians who are not involved we have a duty and responsibility for the cause of Christ to do our part as He did his for us. This election has come and gone, but more elections are on the way. We won’t know if any hearts have been changed until we see you in the voting booth.

Until then

No comments: