Friday, January 13, 2012

Haiti - Remember Jan 12, 2010 to make a difference in 2012 (Article 1)

November 2011 marked my return to the Country of Haiti. This was my third visit and my first visit since the catastrophic earthquake that occurred on Tuesday, January 12, 2010. I have had the privilege to serve as a visiting missionary to several different countries in the world. There is no greater experience to participate on a mission team or to lead a group with the focused purpose of going to serve people in the name of Jesus Christ. My first two visits to Haiti were eye opening experiences. Yes, I saw poverty, yes I saw great need. The worse experience was to see with my eyes a country whose political leadership served not the people but themselves. Those first two visits revealed the citizens of Haiti struggling for the most basic of human needs.
My visit the week of Thanksgiving 2011 placed me personally at a loss for words, and even now I struggle with this series of columns I am compelled to write regarding Haiti. It was at 4:53pm 2 years ago this month that a 7.0 magnitude earthquake devastated the Capital City of Port-Au-Prince and the surrounding area that extended over 18 miles. I want you to understand that I thought Haiti was in dire straights before the earthquake of January 12th. It is very difficult to describe in words what happen to the people of Haiti, their homes, and their families much less describe for you what it did to the infrastructure of their Country. One thing that you must know is that Country of Haiti needs the help of the Government of the United States and the Citizens of Haiti we as individuals must help without any delay! I am beginning with this column a series regarding my experience in Haiti, what you can do to help, and by highlight the needs of Haitians I pray we as individuals, churches, families, and companies of the “world of citizens” will be called to into action.
We must understand the basics of the history of Haiti and we must look at the facts surrounding this devastating event of 2010 as we begin this journey. You maybe surprised to know that Haiti is the world’s oldest black republic and the oldest republics in the Western Hemisphere. Christopher Columbus visited the island in December of 1492. The slaves of Haiti rose up and fought for their freedom and the people won their independence from slavery and gave birth to a Nation in 1792. That year should ring a bell for Kentuckians because it was also the year that the Commonwealth of Kentucky was born and joined the Union of the United States of America. It is hard to look at Haiti today and realize they were once the leader of black independence as a Nation and once they were also the wealthiest black Nation on the earth. Today, Haiti is one of the poorest and least developed countries in the world. The down fall of Haiti from her historically rich history comes at the hand of wicked leaders who served themselves and who even pledged and dedicated Haiti to the devil and the country is surrounded with the practice of Voodoo even today.
The earthquake on the 12th day of January 2010 continued with over 50 aftershocks for several days. The quake left over 300,000 who laid dead on the streets, sidewalks, in their homes, and yes, even in the Capital Building of Haiti. 300,000 more were injured with absolutely no medical help and over 1,000,000 (1 Million) people found themselves immediately homeless. It is estimated over 30,000 businesses, commercial buildings, including the Capital Building housing Haiti’s Government, not to mention the Embassy of the United States of America. Today Haiti is the home to over 500,000 orphans. On my mission experience I saw many orphans first hand. There were in villages, and in schools. These were considered lucky, even if that meant one or two adults attempting to care for 15 or even 30 kids who had literally no one else.
It was these things that I witnessed and these facts which cause me today to invite you to journey with me to Haiti through this column. Come walk with me through this series of columns in January. I am confident you will see at least one way you can help make a real difference right from where you are, while some of you will make the real journey with me to there.

Until then

No comments: