Thursday, February 14, 2013

May 1978 - Love is in the Air

It was May 1978 when John Paul Young released the song “Love is in the Air”. As a radio disc jockey working live radio I remember “spinning” that record over the air waves many times. “Spinning” is an old term that I have even heard used by anyone lately, but I’m sticking with it. It is kind of funny to think just how fast I’ve gotten old. The younger generation might have a difficult time understanding what a radio DJ did back in the day. Who would have imagined vinyl records being replaced by a thing called a CD? Turntables are gone altogether and many radio stations have replaced DJ’s with computers. These are smart computers too. All you have to do is uploaded the music, commercials and programmed and you are on the airwaves all day long. There are a few radio stations today that have passed the test of time. WANO-Pineville; WHLN-Harlan; WYWY-Barbourville; WCTT-Corbin; WMIK-Middlesboro; These stations are the last of the old ‘call letter’ stations that served as the life line of news, information and entertainment in our communities. The lyrics to “Love is in the Air” are perfect for Valentine’s Day and if you are struggling for words to saying to your special loved one, maybe the words to this song are your answer. Having a special someone here on earth to love, cherish and dream with, I would call a blessing from God. There is something about the words John Paul Young wrote in his song that causes my imagination to run. As a Christian I recognize Jesus Christ as the author of love. It is His example of dying on the cross for us that is the ultimate sacrifice and demonstration of love. Understanding real love begins with asking Jesus into your heart. Something must be said about the discovery, excitement and experience of love. The lyrics of “Love is in the Air” show this wonder perfectly. For example: “Love is in the air, everywhere I look around. Love is in the air, every sight and every sound”. When was the last time you felt that kind of love? A love that you could see and a love you could feel everywhere around you and in everything you see and experience. “Love is in the air, in the whisper of the trees, Love is in the air, in the thunder of the sea”. The words of the song are extremely powerful in thoughts. I am thinking to myself, are you open to hear love speak through trees as a whisper? Focusing as I pull these thoughts together I think about how far away I might actually be from where His love would like for me to be. To be in a spot where you have a clear sense of emotion, direction and experience is something I think love is ready for too. I confess, I’ve been here before in my journey as a Christian. I remember the strength I felt when I first came to Him. I remember the rest I discovered and the sense of wonder never having imagined that my guilty and shame could be lifted from me. The song’s lyrics also say “Love is in the air, in the rising of the sun. Love is in the air, when the day is nearly done”. There is something that must be said for His love that meets you at the very first awaken moment of your life and then to experience Him walking with you as you approach the final setting of the sun in your life. His law is love and His gospel is peace. My pray this Valentine’s Day is that if you are a Christian you will reacquaint yourself with His love and for those who have not yet discovered His plan and purpose for your life, that this will be your day. Until then

No comments: