Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day - Remember who Paid the Price

During and after the American Civil War, the Citizens of the United States of America in the 1860’s were honoring the returning deceased Soldiers of both the Union Forces and the Confederate Soldiers who were dying in battle. It was small churches, communities and towns that were remembering her sons that would eventually lead to the ordering of flowers to be placed on the graves in Arlington National Cemetery that was called Decoration Day. In 1971 the Congress set aside a three day weekend declaring the last Monday in May as Memorial Day. Memorial Day is unique and the Holiday has one purpose, to remember the Fallen in Service to our Country. Remembering the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our nation is and should be a matter of respect and a taught tradition. Too sadly for many individuals during this Memorial Day Holiday there will be no remembering of any solider who has fought for our freedom in defense of our Country or the advancement of Freedom around the world. My great-grandfather Nasby Mills who was born on Jan 2, 1892 I knew well. He lived 98 years here on earth, passing on Monday, 2 July 1990. He and I often talk about life, faith, and living and most especially about our family. He remembered well his parents, uncles, and great-uncles talking about the Civil War and those that served. My family on all sides, has always held proper and due respect. Why you ask, because my family members have served and the ultimate sacrifice has been paid which demands respect, but my devotion is one of love and appreciation. My great-grandfather was 22 when World War I broke out in 1914. Great-Uncles of mine fought in World War II in 1939 and uncles on all my family lines fought in the Korean War. Modern Day Conflicts have witnessed the volunteering and service of family members still. I am so thankful for Joshua Brock, his call to active duty while a student at Union College. There he was a member of the Men’s Basketball Team, pulled out of school to service during Operation Enduring Freedom and the volunteered as to serve as a National Guardsmen in the Iraq War. He was presented the Purple Heart for his service and sacrifice by President George W Bush while still recovering at Walter Reed Hospital. My connection with Memorial Day is personal. I love my Country first of all. I stand at attention when the Colors are presented. I don’t talk or run around when the National Anthem is performed. I hold my hand over my heart when I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. I am an American and I am also a Christian. I am not a Christian because I am an American; I am a Christian because I believe in Jesus Christ, Acts 4:12. I am thankful that our nation was founded on Christian Principles and because of my personal relationship with Him, I have a life full of faith, hope and love. This weekend is a perfect opportunity to shore up some personal positions. 1-why not honor this time for its intended purposes. 2-why not determine some ways you can give thanks for our nation 3-why not see yourself as the answer for not just our countries problems but the worlds. After all, the men and women who have served our nation did so because they believed, and that should be reason enough for consideration of self-sacrifice for all of us. Let us never forget the war Jesus Christ fought for us and His sacrifice. He paid it all, so we might go free. Until then

No comments: