Friday, June 14, 2013

Jesse Jones "A shining example of the best of Bell County" Air EVAC Team 109

Public Service is a phrase that is heard of from time to time. Most often we hear it in commercial advertisements as a statement that the information shared is for the common good. When attempting to define public service and common good the definition will vary but there are basic concepts to the phrase that impact all of us. Law Enforcement, Emergency Responders, Medical Service Providers all clearly qualifies as a benefit to the common good. The supporting agencies could be government services such as our county sheriff and city police departments, fire departments, rescue squads, ambulance services, doctors, nurses and emergency response teams which might be called upon for a number of difference types of emergencies. Several years ago I became a member of an emergency Air EVAC program. When memberships were first announced I joined and gladly paid my membership fee, knowing that my benefit through membership far outweighed the expense of the services they provide should I ever need air lifted to a hospital or medical facility. When I was growing up, my interest in things all surrounded around my talents, people I knew, and things I enjoyed. I know others who when looking at a career question things from possible salaries ranges, benefits and opportunities to advance professionally. These questions are equally important but I myself have always placed my emphasis on my passions, the things that motivate me all by themselves. I have never been one interested in a title, but I respect positions. Benefits through employment are awesome, but I understand totally what it is to work without health care, a 401K and even no paid vacation time. People with passion often have a self-sense of what they want to accomplish and what that picture looks like. When they see it, they latch on. Jesse Jones, flight nurse, Eddy Sizemore, pilot of Air EVAC Team 109, and Herman “Lou” Dobbs, flight paramedic were all people who were passionate about what they did, why they did what they did, and service to others, the common good, all describe them and the public service they provided. They each gave the ultimate sacrifice of service on Thursday, June 6, 2013 when their Air EVAC helicopter crashed after safely transporting a patient to a hospital facility. While they were each employed by a privately owned company, their work was a public benefit, and our community is stronger because of individuals like them, because they each followed their passions, the things that brought them great personal satisfaction because of their efforts, training and work. There can never be enough said about an individual who makes a difference because they use what the natural talent they have been given and then they took that to the next step by training and growing that gift. Jesse, Eddy, and Lou each are examples of the best in people! Jesse Jones, 28 of Bell County, Kentucky lived in the Frakes Community. He graduated from Bell County High School in 2003. One of his former teachers Dr. Allison Barton commented that “Jesse was honestly one of my favorite students. A great student who knew in high school what he wanted to do”. The process to fulfilling his dream to becoming a flight nurse continued after high school with Southeast Ky Community Technical College where he earned his Associate’s Degree in Science and became a Registered Nurse. Prior to his assignment in Manchester Kentucky, Jesse worked with the Harlan Air EVAC Team. A lifelong dream of working with Air EVAC, Jesse achieved through hard work and dedication. It is clear to me that Jesse Jones is a shining example of the very best Bell County has to offer. A young man committed to a vision, worked to make his dream become a reality and though sad, he died doing what he loved and wanted to do most. It is not every day you meet folks who are doing what they love to do, but he did. He served thousands of patients in his career and he gave the ultimate sacrifice, laying down his life in service to others. He is a HERO and while his family, co-workers and friends are heartbroken because of the loss, his life is an example of what can be achieved and I honor that! In the midst of emergencies often times the appropriate moment to say thanks never arrives during the situation. There are times no doubt that patients were able to say thanks for the service and aid received. Jesse, Eddy and Lou probably responded to comments of thanks with a statement like, “I am just doing my job”, maybe, “I am glad to help”, or “this is what I do, thank you, and I you are going to be ok”. Their encouragement to others impacted every patient and family member they served. Today it is now our opportunity to say to their families and to all who serve as they did, thanks. To you who serve like they did, for the Common Good we salute you for your public service! We are humbled because of your willingness to follow your heart of passion and career choice. We are a safer, stronger community because of you and your work. Your commitment and willingness “to lay down your life for another” humbles each of us to our inner core. Your difference will never be forgotten. Air EVAC Team 109 remembered for their individual contribution of service and sacrifice. Until then

No comments: