Friday, July 19, 2013

The Prayer of Jabez

One of the great joys of my life is having the opportunity to travel and speak. I appreciate the the groups, organizations, that invite me to speak at conferences, and the seminars I conduct on leadership, using your talents to as you are, and the various themes that I am asked create a motivational message for. Sharing from my experiences throughout life I actually consider a part of my personal responsibility. I figure if I have been given the opportunity for the experience it was given to me to share with others. Learning from ourselves and our personal experiences is a sure way for us transparent with others. 1 Chronicles 4:10 is a scripture that may not jump out at you as a familiar verse of scripture, but if I write that this is the Prayer of Jabez, would you then say that rings a bell? The Prayer of Jabez has been written about and spoken about in thousands of different venues. Scripture records the prayer as "Jazeb crying out to the Lord God of Israel, Oh bless me and enlarge my territory". This prayer is amazing because of its simplicity and vision. The Bible says that to whom much is given, much is required. Jabez was someone who scripture records as honorable and serving others with his resources. (blessings) I have shared many times in messages that the most abled individuals are not always used because to the benefit of the Kingdom of God. Truth is that He uses the willing. It is sad when individuals with so much to give do not share. When I write give I am talking about themselves, their talents, their skills and resources. To often when someone hears resources the only thing that comes to mind is money. Money is a resource but you sharing your time, experiences, giving advice from your life is the most valuable resource. Jabez prayed and asked God to bless him and to enlarge his territory. Today in our communities there are so many needs that are easily visible. I believe one of the reasons people do not get involved is that because they fear they will end up meeting the need with no one else volunteering, and they very well maybe right. The heart of the issue is not that other should join us, or that they will, the heart of the matter is that we have an opportunity individually to make a difference and we should do are part. Even better I would say if no one sees what you have done. Your motives could easily been clearly judged for genuineness. Authentic Christian lives are the key to both making a difference and for seizing the opportunity. Jabez prayed for God to "enlarge his territory". I have heard quite a few people in ministry throughout my 30 plus years I have heard ministers describe their ministry as small and even some defend that fact and imply that a small ministry verses large ministry wins out over large. I personally don't believe The Lord Jesus Christ is pleased with that attitude at all. Each has it's place in service to the King of Kings and it is sad when that this truth is not understood. Small ministries can be extremely productive. If your ministry is reproducing itself in leaders that are going out from where they have been nourished and discipled then you are following the Great Commission and your ministry is to be commended. Large ministries are capable of also sending out missionaries and reproducing themselves. They are also capable of pooling together resources for massive projects and ministries throughout the world. Each uniquely gifted and both large and small ministries have a place in the Kingdom of God. Both types of ministry settings should be supportive of each other and there should be cooperation from both sides helping the others in His name. There is much to do in the name of Jesus. What about praying for God to bless you and enlarge your territory? Until then

No comments: