Thursday, August 1, 2013

Jimmy Rose from Dorton Branch "Coal Keeps the Lights On"

Jimmy Rose. I am pretty sure you will recognize his name or at least be asking yourself why that name rings a bell? Jimmy is singing on America’s Got Talent and he introduced the world to his song, “Coal Keeps the Lights On”. He has been quoted by United States Congressman in the House Chamber for his song as they pick up the cause of coal and its importance to people where coal is produced. He has been tweeted about and re-tweeted thousands of times over in social media. YouTube and Facebook have filled page after page of comments, thoughts, and shares because of his song. As I have been traveling speaking at conferences and events this year many individuals have asked me do you know Jimmy Rose? When I say yes, my friends all laugh and say of course he does, who doesn’t Tim know, (wanting to suggest, laugh and make fun of me for knowing lots of folks) but the friendship I share with Jimmy is much different than a name dropping moment. In 1998 the congregation of the Bethlehem Baptist Church of Dorton Branch, located less than a mile outside the City limits of Pineville in Bell County, Kentucky, extended a call for me to serve as their pastor, a call I accepted. Dorton Branch for those who are not familiar with is location might very well never find it if they went looking. Sure if you used GPS you might, but then again, maybe not. The mountains of Southeastern Kentucky have some unique ways of keeping the modern up-to-date world out. I remember well the first time I met Jimmy along with other youth who lived in and called Dorton Branch home. Serving a community, meeting needs and being real is something I am pleased to say I have been successful at in ministry. I met Jimmy the very first week I was “in the branch”. I had walked out of the church parsonage down the road to go meet and introduce myself to the youth. I had already met many of the adults on their turf, in the church building. Now it was time to meet the youth on their turf. I headed walking down the road to the fields down by the railroad tracks and the train trussel. (Note: Dorton Branch is a small community with one road in and out) I remember as if it was yesterday what I was hearing as they notice someone coming into their territory. Not sure who it was at first, but then I heard their comments. Truth is, Jimmy’s little brother Chris I heard first. He said, “Oh boys that’s the preacher”…as if that was a bad thing or at least unlike the preachers they had known before. Then I heard a voice in time I would learn was Johnny Harris. His remarks were much more direct but in line with Chris’ comments. Johnny said loud enough for me to hear clearly, “what in the world is he coming here for”. Implying I was probably the last person in the world they wanted to talk to, hang out with, or have to meet. A position from their point of view I could understand fully, but that wasn’t going to stop me from walking into their turf and introducing myself. There I met the whole crew. Jimmy & Chris Rose Johnny Harris, Adam Patterson Jeremy Maynard, Aaron Canterbury, Asa Mills, Dustin Redmond, and others that are slipping my mind, but I am extremely confident that they are all smiling right now remember those times and the ministry we built for them and the community. Jimmy was then as he is today. Quite, but don’t mistaken that for a lack of thoughts or opinions. He is just more reserved and the humble side you see is exactly who he was then as a teen and who he is today as a man. “Coal keeps the lights on” is the perfect song and if you haven’t discovered from the lyrics they represent real life as it is and the importance of coal then you missed the meaning altogether. Dorton Branch where Jimmy grew up is full of lots of history. The road goes down to a 4-wheel trail today at the end of the holler. Back in the day it was a horse, cow and walking path. Folks would walk from Knox County over the mountain from Stinking Creek right through Dorton Branch to trade goods, catch the train, and to visit. Today folks travel the Cumberland Gap Parkway to get to and from. Bethlehem Baptist Church was once a one room school house for the community. Today half of the church building is what remains of the old grade school. The building was acquired by the church from the Bell County Board of Education after the school consolidated. Pineville and Bell County have honored Jimmy in many ways. First by their support and encouragement. Elected officials have also bestowed honors upon Jimmy for his success and because of his positive representation of the people of Bell County and the people of Coal across the United States. The Pineville Mayor made him an Honorary Mayor, the Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Commissioned him a Kentucky Colonel and the Bell County Judge Executive appointed him an Ambassador of Bell County. Jimmy joins a group of Ambassador’s from Bell County. United States Ambassador George Staples, his wife Jo Ann live in Fourmile and their daughter Catherine is a graduate of Pineville High School. Ambassador Staples has served honorably and had a great career in the Foreign Service for 26 years, including his service as the Director General. Dale Ann Bradley is a musical pioneer unique to the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky. She graduated from Bell County High School and has never forgotten where she is from in her travels across the world. A five time International Bluegrass Music Association Female Vocalist of the Year! She is known the world over as the “Daughter of Bluegrass Music”. Jimmy Rose follows some pretty big footsteps for the Ambassadors of Bell County but he is up to the challenge and has already succeeded in calling the nation’s attention to something that matters, coal. Let your heart dream, let your mind roam, it doesn’t matter where you are from, you can impact the world. Jimmy know that Dorton Branch is very proud of you. Home will always be across the railroad tracks, but remember as you travel that you are an encouragement to all that you are aware of, and them hundreds of thousands that may never have a chance to say thanks. My personal prayer for you is that “you will always see sunshine through the rain and a rainbow behind every cloud”. Until then

No comments: