Friday, October 18, 2013

Two Places-Same Time: Cumberland College & Union College

Now sure when the last time was that you attempted to be two places at the same time, but I recently tried my hand at the adventure. I feel totally compelled to share with you that I was not successful as it was a miserable failure. Of importance to this column will be the reason why I was attempting to accomplish this "Two Places-Same Time" task. I think you will clearly understand the statement that sometimes the options in life can be difficult to choose from. Now it should be said that some folks simply cannot make a decision no matter what. I can make a decision, and I did--I thought I would go both to Homecoming at my old alma mater Cumberland College (University of the Cumberlands) in Williamsburg, Ky and I also wanted to visit Union College in Barbourville. With less than 30 miles separating the two cities I thought if ever I could pull this off, now was the time. True friendship remains the staple of all my connections. I don't see me getting tired of meeting new folks anytime soon, and the opportunity to reconnect through shared stories, looking at new family photos and just hanging out with those from your past and life history is a lot of fun. My time at Cumberland will always be special and having spent 12 years serving as a Sports Chaplain to the student athletes, coaches and staff at Union this connection is one I appreciate too. Life offers a lot of options and choices. Recently I was listening to my oldest niece, Brittany Elizabeth Goodin share advice with a cousin. The discussion was about classes, interest in life, and teachers that either caused you to love an academic subject or hate it. Her advice regarding class selection was to go with the teacher that made studying fun, exciting and challenging every time. (I was thinking to myself I sure am glad I told her that) Of course I hadn't shared that specially but I was very proud of the way she applied life lessons and experiences to now shared wisdom and advice. Options, choices, decisions can become very complicated. There is not a single strategy that works, but it is the combination of things that lead us in the proper direction if we are open to hear it, see it when it is before us and then follow. My decision to be at two different places on the same day meant that my day would start early and end late. It also meant that I would be doing more traveling with a sense of urgency in a short amount of time and this would require more careful attention to details if I was going to do both safely. This experience would also mean that I would be eating two meals and not one, snacking and tasting from every dish prepared and I would need to manage portion control in serious moderation. For the record, I normally am not successful when it comes to portion control. I normally maintain a "SeaFood Diet" that is spelled in action as "see food, eat food". Life can be demanding and challenging all by itself without us adding additional stuff to our plate like stress from lack of planning as one example. The only person I know that has ever been successful at being at two different locations at the same time is this guy I met name Jesus. A lot of my friends have shared with me about their desire to be here for me when I have been in need. The difficulty has been that it is impossible for them to be in two spots at once, as it it for me to, of course. We have great hearts that want to be, and prayers that are with you in spirit, but not physically. Jesus I have discovered is capable of being in two places at once. He hears all things at the same time, and hear them all clearly from each of us. While I was only successful at visiting two places on the same day, Jesus Christ can be there and here for each of us without any travel at all on His part. The next time the mission or task seems impossible remember there is one guy that I know that can do all things. Until then

No comments: