Thursday, January 30, 2014

Al Gore/Global Warming - Jesus/Forgiveness & Love

When it comes to the weather, any condition honestly, there is one name and one phrase. Al Gore and Global Warming. I don't know a single adult who doesn't have an opinion on the subject of Global Warming and Al Gore regarding this topic. I was recently talking about this issue of Global Warming with a group that is from the current teen generation and I was amazed that they didn't even realize Al Gore was the former Vice-President of the United States. When I got to thinking about it, 1993 was 21 years ago, so maybe that fact of history has been lost in all the discussion about this issue of Global Warming. Amazing to me what happens when time passes and we become singular focused on one thing. For former Vice President Al Gore it is climate change, environmental issues, that include the entire cross section of issues and not just toxic waste and greenhouse gas emissions. Agree or disagree with his position, the fact is that since 1977 when he was elected to the United States House of Representatives he has been involved in the discussion. His freshman year in the House began his public work and his efforts have never ceased on the issue. Good or bad, believe or not believe in the issue of Global Warming, I respect his "stick to it" attitude. I believe there is much to be learned from such a determined and resolute position. What we say about people and the manner in which we talk about them for the causes they support, advocate for, or defend says a lot about us as individuals too. I became a Christian in 1974. I have not always been an avid, staunch, clearly identifiable follower of Jesus. There have been many times I should have spoken up, stepped out, and clearly identified with my beliefs but I didn't. Oh, if I could have received awards and honors for my position that sounds positive and absolutely count me in for that, but to be criticized, have my thoughts openly discussed, and perhaps be personally made fun of, please I'd like to stay away from that negative situation. I think no doubt, the majority of you reading this column would agree. Joining positives things is a good decision and staying away from the negative makes perfect sense. However I am not sure that this is the best decision to follow as a ruling guide in our lives as Christians. Consider just the fact of who Jesus went and had dinner with. In Matthew 9:10 he went to Matthew's house! He was a tax collector and at this dinner particularly, Matthew had invited his other tax collector friends to come and meet Jesus too. Eating dinner with sinners what was Jesus thinking?...that is the same question that the religious Pharisees asked too. Friends and who we associate with seem to be for some a defining statement. For Jesus people certainly had an opinion about this decision Jesus made. Thinking about today's climate, I have friends that are totally loyal democrats they are blue all the way. I have republican friends that are red all the way. I could joke and ask why would anyone want to be a donkey or an elephant? Jesus paid no attention to the thoughts of others or to the comments others made about Him. In Luke 11:38 there was a question raised about Jesus and Him not washing His hands before a meal. There was after all a ceremonially act of hand-washing and the Pharisees were so upset that Jesus had not performed this Jewish custom. Allow me to share that this dinning experience invitation had been issued to Jesus by a Pharisee. This invitation is proof that even an expert in the law can be curious to learn and discover for himself what Jesus was all about. Inviting Jesus to dinner was certainly a great way to accomplish this goal. Nothing like first hand encounters and first person testimonies. If you ask me my position on Global Warming I can certainly say it has been 'cold as ice' and there is a relationship between warming and cooling. If you ask me about Jesus Christ I can say without a doubt that He is the one and there is a relationship between forgiveness and love. Until then

No comments: