Friday, October 31, 2014

Barbara Grace - Grateful to have sat at her piano bench

My time of thanksgiving begins with the falling of the leaves. The color of fall reminds me that change can be a beautiful thing. In the song "The Rose" we are reminded that underneath the winter cold lies a seed that in the spring becomes a rose. The hope of life and even eternal life are sometimes easily seen and at other times they are simply hidden waiting to bloom. Talents and skills are the things that everyone hopes that they have. Some talent is truly gifted while other talents we can see have been developed or in the developmental stages even now. Skills are the tools we use to perfect our talent or they are the fundamental equipment needed if we are ever going to survive the road ahead. Playing the piano is a talent and a skill. It can be that which you just naturally have or develop, and it can be that resource which is necessary to help motivate and move us from one point in life to another. Barbara Grace was my piano teacher. I know I was asked if I wanted to take piano lessons and I know I said yes, but I believe that was a decision my mother made for me and with my father paying for each lesson by journey to the piano bench and keys began. My parents thought I had a talent to sing and while already on the course to develop that gift, learning to play the piano seemed like a natural fit. The two instruments, voice and the keyboard, compliment each other after all. Learning to play the piano was sometimes like a chore. And like most kids, who likes to do chores? The older I have gotten the more I wish I had spent a little more time doing my music chore. Music is a vital part of life and Barbara Grace has been the musical influence in the lives of countless students, although I am figuring that Mrs. Grace has never forgotten a single student she taught from her piano bench. She herself graduated from Georgetown College with a double degree in music and business. Her parents believed in education and that it is the key to opening up doors and opportunities. Her father was Dr. J. M. Brooks, Sr., and Barbara's parents were married in 1953. Her father was a a part of the creation of the Pineville Community Hospital and her dad also served as Mayor of the Gem City of the Cumberlands, Pineville. Maybe a part of her love for music came from the old camping meeting day she attended as a child at what was then known as the Clear Creek Preacher's School, now we know it as Clear Creek Baptist Bible College. Her inspirations came from being a part of what others were doing. She has accompanied on the piano hundreds of singers. She was a gift teacher in leading students but she was also a dedicated follower who allowed soloist to create their own tempo's and expressions and she gladly kept playing doing her part to may the selection as awesome as possible. I led children's choir and the congregational singing at the First Baptist Church of Pineville throughout my youth, high school and some of my college days too. With Barbara at the piano and with first Mary Asher Wilson and then Annette Walden at the organ, it was hard for me not to sound good! Gifted, talented musicians who love listening to music and even better yet, making music. Music speaks to our heart, to our mind and our emotions. There is no doubt some of you who are thinking about someone you are grateful for, even if you didn't turn out to play the piano like they did or still do. Musical influences, are just a few of the folks we should find some time to say thanks to during this time of 'thanksgiving'. It has been said that music is the only gift on earth that we take to heaven. We know there will be harps and all kinds of stringed instruments in heaven and while most of us are in no rush to get there quickly, it is a thought that I often ponder upon. How beautiful heaven must be, and won't it be wonderful there. Until then

No comments: