Friday, June 12, 2015

The impact of reading

​Reading is a practice that can be difficult to develop. If you were to discuss the subject with reading advocate Debbie Hoskins of the Children's Reading Foundation of Appalachia she would quickly share that the best way to develop this great habit is to read to your children, or any child 20 minutes a day! The foundations mission is an innovative approach to literacy and the practice of reading books is one that can change your life positively. I grew up on the classics of the 1950's and the 1960's children's books. A matter of fact I still have some of those childhood books too. Today if you good looking for children's books there are so many to select from and the stories are never ending to impact a child's life and to teach the value of reading and learning. ​The value of reading to me personally is like a confirmation exercise. Growing-up your first big steps in the process is to begin to question things and ask that one questions many adults grow weary in answering....why? When I read I learn sometimes things I never knew the answer to and I've found myself exposed to many new thoughts, methods and best practices through reading. Because of the books I've read I have also found confirmation of my thoughts and beliefs too. As a Christian I have grown in understanding the ways of God because of the experiences others have put into words for reading from their lives. ​Shirley Hufstedler was one of my high school teachers whose investment into my life as a child and teenager had a powerful impact in my thought processes and decisions. Her continued involvement in my life as an adult recently involved her giving me a couple books for reading. One of the books is titled "The Red Sea Rules" by Robert J Morgan. Her gift was timely and deals with lessons gleamed from the experience of the children of Israel being lead my Moses when they came to the road block of the Red Sea being pursued by Pharaoh and his army. Because of my recent medical issues and challenges the book has spoken volumes into my life. The word 'Rules' might seem like it will be a negative read but rules are a positive practice too. ​The Preface of the book provided me with cause for several highlights. One dealt with the feeling of being all alone and no help in sight. The writer described a situation in which he was flying in an airplane and the seat next to him was vacant. At the moment he was filling a void and something missing. He began to think about his situation and thus ensued ten rules for living life and facing the 'Red Seas' in our individual lives. Isaiah 43:19 reads, "I (The Lord) will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert". Personally I have discovered this truth in my life and because I read the book I've experienced the confirmation that God is my friend and I am never alone! ​Don't miss out on an opportunity to read. You might be surprised at what you still have to learn or confirm. Until then

No comments: