Friday, August 7, 2015

A helping hand

Have you ever noticed your personal difficulty in receiving help? It could be that this first sentence has you already saying to yourself "no I haven't noticed". If that's the situation for you then allow me to share my situation which is just the opposite. I want to be someone that says I receive free and unsolicited help very easily but this is just not true about me. I am not sure where the root of this battle begins but I know I've seen the current face of this monster many times. There is something about our fight for personal independence that creates walls that seem to be a hundred feet high and barriers fortified so strongly that penetration is perceived to be impossible. The battle for self begins in our lives without any training or even a suggestive hint. As a baby the skill is natural and shows itself way to often for those shouldering the role of parent. The difficulty in receiving help is more than an extra hand volunteering to assist us on a project or working with a team to accomplish a goal. I am writing about that inner battle that rages inside of even the meekest of individuals when it comes to receiving help. In saying no to help we provide answers like "oh no, I can". We express no in a positive way by saying "thanks" following by our reason why help is not required. By accepting help the initial fear is that we are somehow giving up control or acknowledging our inability to handle a situation or complete a project. These thoughts are the difficulty we struggle with because they are true. We each have issues, situations or moments where help is the only answer. There is no shame in admitting this truth, rather I would suggest there is great character in seeing our need and realizing the solution. One topic that help is a requirement is the matter of sin. The only control over sin that I have is the ability to admit I have sinned and I am a sinner. The only solution for sin is the helping hand of Jesus Christ. It maybe you don't want help, but if you want the solution, He is the only answer. Until then

No comments: