Friday, October 23, 2015

Don't miss an opportunity to say "Thanks" for others who are "Giving"

"Thanks", "Giving" is my personal way of sharing the stories of the people who have impact my life. Over the years that I have been publicly expressing my "thanks for the investing, "giving", of others into my life I received many comments. A few of the individuals have been caught totally off guard while others have continue to encourage me but only after providing me with instruction to select others, all the while saying thanks too. I began this personal tradition because after the passing of a friend I had wished I had said more during our lifetime as friends. A lost opportunity because we failed to take the time to say "thanks" because a major moment in our lives when we simply planned on expressing "thanks" for their impact or importance to us and then they are gone and we live with the regret. Death has a cruel way of creeping up on us and stealing from us plans and dreams. Medical issues, sickness and disability have a way of also stealing from us repeat moments of fun, sharing and plans. These heartaches can become a serious problem if we don't correct the behavior of prolonging, putting off, and procrastinating. (Yes, those three "P's" I just used are a preachers prerogative). Often I've had people share with me that they are scared to share their feelings or to express their thoughts. It can be scary. Rejection is the last things we want to experience but it is not our responsibility to make sure that others understand our motives. It is important however for us to express our hearts and gratitude, especially among our friends. Will people think weird of us, possibly? Will our friends think we have a secret motive, possibly? The truth is that the answer to both of these questions could be answer yes because they are true. We are weird. Think about it, most folks don't say thanks anymore. There is an attitude of you owe me going around and yes, we do have a secret motive. We want people to know they matter to us and we have learned from them and we want them to know it. I see no wrong in having the motive for saying "Thanks" and for "Giving" back so others will know their lives matter and you appreciate them. I assume no responsibility for others feeling uncomfortable with receiving praise, honor or thanks. I do assume full responsibility for my words and actions and I want no missed opportunity of following my heart. Until then

No comments: