Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Week

With there only being 52 weeks in a year one would think picking a favorite week would be an easy task. I have only enquired into a few folks and their selections for favorite week of the year and my received responses have been varied. The number one response to my enquiring question has been a question in response, “why”? My response of course has just been, I’ve got a favorite week and was just wondering if you did? Most folks have considered it is a trick question or they look around to see who is standing around; as if mother was there it would be the week of her birthday of course!
For me I thought I would simple say I love 51 weeks of the year for riding a Harley Motorcycle somewhere and the other week of the year I love Thanksgiving Week. Truth is that’s not a bad answer but for some that will seem like an easy out, but I’ll hold to this line for now because I’m thinking it is the best way to spend a year without a doubt.
So what week are you saying is your favorite if you have to pick? Will it be a week of vacation on some island or resort? How-a-bout a trip that includes several stopping points each year like amusement parks and maybe a museum or historical point of interest? It could be just a week at home that you enjoy not really doing anything, or maybe it’s a main focus on what my family would call piddling, which means you are really doing nothing, but your way of thinking says you are doing something, even if there is nothing to show for it at the end of the week. Those types of weeks are not bad, we easily justify we were doing something no one else wanted to do, and it was so time consuming because of the many little task it took to make that shed look like it does now. Doesn’t that just make you feel so much better just having read that?
The weeks of the year are all different and there are many reasons for selecting certain days, or occasions, but have you answered the question yet, what is your favorite week of the year?
It is Thanksgiving Week for me for several reasons. While some will think of this as the biggest shopping day of the year for those special items, I’m not much into Christmas gifts so the week is more about resting and reflecting then the run down the aisle for that special something. I like Thanksgiving Week because of the food. While some will say their candy cooking is all for the Christmas Season, to me, since it’s cooked and ready now, it’s all about Thanksgiving Season instead. I would have to say my biggest reason for enjoying Thanksgiving is because it is the season to say ‘thanks’.
Possibly the hardest thing some folks will ever do is say thanks but I discovered it a great way of acknowledging others, their impact and influence as well as the peace that overtakes me when I know I’ve done all I can do.
Now sure what your favorite week is, or how you will reflect upon this Thanksgiving Week, but for me, I’ve already made my decision and to top it off I’ll probably take a Harley ride too.

Until then

No comments: