Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's all about Mother's

Mother’s Day is that special day of the year that no matter what you think, want to say, or even want to do, you do as Mother wants you to! In just a few more weeks when Father’s Day arrives, the same high level of respect will just not make it to the table. Dad’s are different from Mom’s, so overhauls and/or a tie will be fine for Dad, but make sure for Mom it’s flowers, candy, a meal and everything she says.
Now most moms are really not as demanding, as I have written. It’s always good to smile and think, he’s just kidding, but deep inside we all know it is the truth too. Moms are fun to pick on and to pick at. It’s a part of the language that males sometimes use to say I love you, or to express that you are special to them. In my life I have had a few of those special moms that during this time of the year I am appreciative for their giving and the memories we share.
Helen Martin was the first. Now Helen was that person that while she may have not treated Jim and Bridget so special, she shouldn’t have. I am the baby after all and the Lord knows my brother and sister already had it made, so they didn’t need any attention or special love-me on the other hand, well, it was all good. By the way, my brother is all momma’s and sister is 100% daddy’s girl, so don’t go feeling sorry for them ok? Helen was that person that I just have nothing but good memories of. From the purchase of a hot pretzel, to a .5 cent bus ride downtown, it was all good.
My Aunt Jean has been like a mom. I’m messy; she’s clean as a whistle, or at least neat and tidy. She is not the one that just anybody can stop by and walk on in on, but I could, or at least I did. She tolerated that behavior out of me growing up and if I played my cards just right, I could also have dinner with her and Uncle Curt. When it comes to great-aunts, well, they played the role as well. It’s not just anybody that you could stop in and say, “I’m hungry, what’s cooking”, and you could get exactly what you wanted. My heart’s love flows to Aunt Mary and Aunt Evelyn who always have welcoming and open doors. Mom memories of my Aunt Dorothy are also flowing. She is still queen of the peanut butter, jelly and sugar sandwich. I can see her even now, stirring together that special blend just for me. The great thing about Aunt Dot was that their are a slew of young’ins just like me that feel just as special, that takes a very special type of person and she was all that.
Unique and special mothers, I need to mention Pearly. What a dandy! Now Helen taught me to use mustard, it was her polish heritage shining through, and it was Pearly who always made sure she had mustard just for me when she would fry up a skillet of potatoes. What memories of mothers.
Grandmothers have their special place. After all, mother is in their name. Some folks would describe others as just being born with it, and grandmothers are. They have that nack, that special touch, they know just the right words to say, it’s all part of being a grandmother and I am thankful for mine.
In high school Mrs. Barbara Young was a mother. She was one of those teachers that just loved kids, taught for the right reason, and had that mother instinct for not just her children, but all her children, and that’s special too. Walk in to homeroom late and just say “mom” and she would quickly say, “I’ll mom you”….wow, what blessings I have had in my life.
While my life has been touch by many moms who filled a gap, made an impact upon my life, drove me to a game or picked me up from one, there is nothing like your mom, and mine is special. She is all the things you want a mom to be, and that includes the love and the discipline. I’ve witnessed her be a mom to every kid at the house, and I’ve watched her go the extra mile so many times that I really have lost memory of some of the great lesions of life. She has done a lot for the benefit of other people and I’m grateful to have a mother like that. Those that know her understand she loves to give and while it is more blessed to give then receive, mom, please receive this one. I love you!

Until then

No comments: