Monday, May 19, 2008

Sarah McLachlan, Dale Wimbrow, & Justice Cain

Quotes are great and I love them. I love the quotes that make immediate sense and those that you need to think about to make sure you understand what is being said. Quotes with hidden meanings can be the perfect encouragement for the day. May I suggest Charles Dickerson, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, as just good fun classics, if you are up to some reading. To seek and discover today’s lines you might want to tune in to a station that is playing top music hits, listen to the radio and hear the excitement or the pain.
Sarah McLachlan writes in her song, Arms of an Angel, “spend all your time waiting for that second chance, for the break that will make it ok. There’s always some reason to feel not good enough and it’s hard at the end of the day.” These words are powerful she has pinned as a self expressionist. “You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie, you’re in the arms of an Angel, may you find some comfort here”.
Dale Wimbrow wrote the poem, The Guy in the Glass. This may very well be my all time favorite poem and one that I have quoted since it was introduction into my life. “When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf, and the world makes you Kind for a day, then go to the mirror and look at yourself, and see what that guy has to say. You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years, and get pats on the back as you pass, but your final reward will be heartaches and tears, if you’ve cheated the guy in the glass.” What a challenge for anyone up to a good self inspection. Check out Dale Wimbrow and his work, A Sardine and a Cracker for more moments if you want a laugh and a smile at the same time.
I am thankful for the friends I have in life. I am thankful for their personal impact, thoughts they have shared, and I’ve enjoyed the time it takes to get to know folks. Allowing our friends to be themselves is just as difficult as being authentic in worship. Listening to people is something that is only successfully accomplished because you really care and want to listen and be helpful. The typical nose in your business- is worse case scenario, and leads to the development of few friends but lots of talk and gossip, if that be your goal.
Justice Cain wrote: “I am more spiritual than religious, religion requires faith, faith equals 'blind trust'. Life has taught me to keep my eyes, mind and heart open and trust is too easily and often broken. Hope is all I have, certainty is uncertain, promises may not be kept, trust may not be earned, words may not be true, love may not be returned, belief and great expectations cannot be afforded. But I have Hope....and dreams.”
If you are writing your quote or situation for today what words are you going to strike upon the canvas of life or paper as you pin your thoughts? The quest for self is never easy. The hard lesson may very well be that we find ourselves in giving ourselves away to another. Many of the followers of Jesus have so distorted His teaching that many think there is no answer in His teachings today. Finding life through Him is about Him providing life to us, by the giving of himself.
Who are you listening to for the answers in life? What are you reading for understanding? Where are you looking for the solutions you seek? Justice wrote, “but I have a hope….and dreams.” Me too, join the journey if you will.

Until then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey man, love ya, nice sensitive column there buddy! Dude, I've lost my phone and don't have your number. Call me so I can have it once more.