Monday, June 30, 2008

4th of July - Naming Names to Thank!

Each generation is always touched by certain specific events that give a lasting hand print upon their lives. Being one of those, “baby-boomers”, there are several events that have impacted my life, placed a mark of distinction, or helped to mold my thoughts. Being a teen and a part of the Bi-Centennial Celebration of our Country in 1976 was one of those “events, hand, distinction” that I recall and cherish. This weekend we celebrate our Nations liberty of freedom and distinction among all other nations of the world on this 4th of July.
When I think about America my reflections cover the span of my life time and the appreciation I have for our Country. It could be that I have an extra special place for America because I have traveled overseas and have experienced first hand the difference between the U.S.A. and other countries? Whatever the cause of my devotion to my Country, I am thankful for my love for her and for the willingness of others to pick up arms and defend our way of life here at home and our interest throughout the world.
On his 4th of July Weekend I am saluting my personal friends who are in service to our Nation currently. Jacob Piper; Col. Lance Patterson; Erik Brooks; Jeremy Baker; Lt. Joe Contiguglia; brothers, Nick & Daniel Ruggieri; Richard Webb; Rusty Goings; and Caleb Jones; Friends who have served are: Jonathan Bunkrick; brothers, Greg & David Speicher; Jeff “Eagle-Crow” Settles; Greg Foley; Dwain Neely; Ryan Loudermilk; Walt Meachum; Dwight Lewis; Marvin Chess; Keith Barnett; and Danny Catron; My Purple Heart Hero is Joshua A Brock.
When on begins the process of thinking about our fore fathers and their thoughts about freedom and what that should look like, it is amazing that today their vision continues to lives. I would not assume that all the freedoms shared or expressed were what they were thinking, nor would I assume that some of the topics of life that have been ruled unconstitutional or unlawful would be their thought line either, but we do enjoy a real freedom that allows us to agree, disagree and come together.
Depending upon where you live it maybe that you will walk out your door and watch fireworks taking to the air, or it maybe that you will to a town or community center to enjoy the 4th of July. Last year I spend the fourth of July at one of the most unique settings for a 4th of July, and I would go so far as to say it’s discovery so close to home was a reminder that the best things in life can be found right where we live. Last year I took to Route 66 and drove to the Red Bird Community to enjoy their wholesome-family-community celebration that I really enjoyed. I saw a few friends that I had known over the years and I was reminded of how special Red Bird is and what a unique gem we have here in the mountains. For those living in Bell County and Clay County I’m just going to assume that because they live right there, they may not consider it to be so unique, but what a special place. Consider all the lives touched through the ministry of the Red Bird Conference. Growing up I had several friendships through 4-H and sports. Over the years Red Bird has continued to make a difference and for those living in Knox County, what would Knox County be without the ministry of the Lend-A-Hand Center and Peggy Kemner to so many residence.
This weekend it maybe that you will just sit on the porch and enjoy the breeze or the view. You may discover some great television series you have seen in years and watch that trilogy, but no matter what direction you head I would ask that you take time to say thanks to those you know who have served in our Armed Forces, and for those you know who are currently serving, why not call one of their family members to say thanks to them for the sacrifice they and their families are making for their loved ones to extend our protections and freedoms.
We have much to be thankful for and the creator of the universe deserves our prayers and praise. Those that are advancing the Kingdom also deserve our thanks, especially those peace makers who continue to make a difference, some here at home in service and support missions and those that are working the frontlines and behind the lines deserve a hearty prayer and thanks.

Until then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

July 4th is a great time to celebrate your country’s freedom and spend valuable time with family and friends.