Monday, January 5, 2009

Scripture Focus 2009 - II Corinthians 4:8-9

It is that time again for me to share my focus scripture of the year. In 2008 I turned my attention to II Corinthians 6:1 which says, “We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that you receive not the grace of God in vain.” If you confess the name of Jesus as your Savior who was it you cooperated with this year and worked together for Him? For me I have several different times that come to my reflection as I ponder my efforts to have not received God’s grace in vain. Honesty requires that I confess that no doubt there are moments that I did not respond well to His perfect gift to me. Honesty requires that I say times have been difficult and not always have I had a smiling face showing the grace of God at work in my life.
On the other hand I am grateful for folks who through their Christmas notes alone encouraged me in my faith and practice. Rev. Ron Wilson, a minister at East Wood Baptist Church in Bowling Green sent a note that said, “WOW! Our God is truly an AWESOME God! It all happens according to HIS time and not ours. That is incredible! Your faith is inspiring! Love ya bro!” Randy & Delia Burns, who attended Clear Creek Baptist Bible College, wrote and shared about an experience remembered from the Bethlehem Baptist Church of Dorton Branch. He wrote, “When I remember those days I, too, smile. I remember the time you brought us a 40lb box of ham to put in our dorm (size) fridge. I ate ham for three weeks, and thanked the Lord for it. I remember how you encouraged me and even gave me a chance to preach. You were a tremendous blessing in difficult times, and I am still proud to call you a friend (even though we don't get much of a chance to see or talk to each other). I hope you also have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I remember what you taught me, "Whatever you find to for the Lord, do it with all your might." What a privilege I had to serve at BBCDB and to meet Randy, Delia and so many other students from Clear Creek. We served there with a genuine heart and it made a difference in his life so there the grace of God was not received in vain by his testimony.
I had the honor of officiating at the wedding ceremony of Catherine and Matthew Randolph who wrote, “We really appreciate you writing out or vows and ring exchanges. You are a wonderful person and we're so blessed to have you in our lives. I hope you also have a wonderful Christmas. Matthew and I wish you all the best for 2009. Don't forget to smile and have tons of fun! Lots of love and hugs.” Sometimes when I wonder if I am using the grace God has given me properly, I read a note like these and I know to press on, keep a smiling going and continue to give what you have to give to those we know and meet along life’s highway.
I have selected II Corinthians 4:8-9 as my scripture focus for 2009. It reads, “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; Perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not abandoned; Struck down, but not destroyed.”
Every year I have encouraged folks to select a scripture to study, ponder, think upon, ask questions about, and attempt to gain insight into God’s plan for our lives because we have selected scripture to focus on and grow thereby. It is never to late to memorize God’s word or seek out His plan by giving our attention to His direction. I pray that 2009 will be a year of discovery in your life and you may not be pressed, perplexed, persecuted or struck down. You may be on the mountain high, looking over the valley, walking through the roses of life enjoying the fragrance of life’s good times. Either way, the right decision will be to consider His plan, follow His direction and focus wherever He has planted you just as you are.

Until then

No comments: