Sunday, April 12, 2009

Druther's Resturant - A piece of History

If you have the hobby of collecting I am just curious why you save or collect what you do? I have several things that I like to collect. I am a big Royal Crown fan, and even a bigger Squirt Soda fan, so anything along those lines, I get excited about. I also love cowboy boots. I won’t write just how many I have, but, let’s just say I have several pairs I have collected over the years. This collect by the way is a “let’s wear’em” collection. So if you see me in Red Snake Skins you can just know that I am enjoying myself.
When one collects things I often think of old things, or things that use to be. Growing up in Southeastern Kentucky one of the famous locations we older folks made frequent stops to would have been Druther’s. Remember that fast food restaurant? Williamsburg had one, Corbin had one, Barbourville had one, Pineville had one, and even Middlesboro had one. I loved the potato wedges especially. You could always get a great ham and cheese too, or at least that would have been another favorite of mine when it came ordering time.
Recently I was traveling in Taylor County, Kentucky. What I discovered in the City of Campbellsville caused me to make a complete u-turn. It had been at least since 1983 that I had seen a Druther’s, but low and behold, there was a Druther’s sitting just as I remembered from back in the day. Outside on the marquee was the special, “two cheeseburgers for a $1.00”. With such hard economic times I was tempted to order me up a dozen at that pricing! Of course you can rest assured I asked if they had wedges, and they did, so that was ordered too. Once I got through ordering my “memory special”, I said, I didn’t know that Druther’s was still in existence. The employee informed me that I was eating at the last one in the United States. At that moment I felt like King of the World. I thought about trying to collect the big Druther’s Sign, but couldn’t fit that in my car…ha, ha.
Collecting is a lot of fun but being reminded is also just as much fun. One of the things I am often reminded of is the grace and mercy that Jesus Christ provides to his children. I am reminded when I think about problems I am facing that He is always there. When I think about decisions that I have to make, I am reminded that He is a friend that provides clear directions and wisdom, if we ask.
Life has many great moments that we can enjoy. Memories that are created from looking at all kinds of different things. Memories from favorite restaurants, to moments with friends all are good ways for us to be reminded that Jesus Christ cares about us, and even if we were to think that somehow he has forgotten us, or moved on with us, we need to re-think again. I thought that Druther’s was long gone, but I only had to be in the right city to learn that I was wrong.
When you experience a moment when you are wondering where He is, or what He is doing, I might recommend you stop your travels, do a turn around where you are and look back to see He is still right there. We certainly have a friend that sticks by closer then a brother, and that’s a good thing to collect.

Until then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is funny...Tonya and I passed that Druther's a few weeks ago on the way to the 4-H Leadership Center and commented that we had not seen a Druther's in many years!!

By Shelia Young, Louisville, KY