Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"

Unexpected events in life provide smiles, memories and heartache. The announcement of a pregnancy brings a smile as a new journey and experience begins. Memories of a time and place create laughter that fills the air as you think about a time that will no doubt ever be duplicated again. Heartache is also involved in the events of life. Heartache could begin with the loss of a game involving sports to the full spectrum of life’s events, including the loss of life.
The name, Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr., provides all three of the life providing experiences I have written. Certainly the people of Knox County, where his family originates and their family roots are solid with a strong background may feel the direct impact of his death, but throughout Southeastern Kentucky his interest and investments have also been impacted because of his vision, leadership and willingness to volunteer and be a part of things all over, and not just his direct community.
Name a city or county in Southeastern Kentucky and it will take just a second to name a business, special project, an organization or individuals that his involvement mattered. One of the strengths of his name, Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr., is not the focus of his individual interest, as there were many. His strength being reflected with these expected events is his interest is others. He enjoyed watching others become successful in pursuit of their goals. He enjoyed being a part of the achievement of others without any public acknowledgment or credit. Something that is very rare, but something that many, I included, experienced and now reflect. From the use of equipment; helping to level apiece of land; cleaning out a ditch; pulling a car down the road; or providing a listening ear to a neighbor or passing stranger; Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr., was a person that made a difference in the lives of many. Not mentioned until now are the employees through his various business ventures. Their lives through employment and benefits have certainly been impacted positively too.
Smiles, memories and heartache. If it were possible to eliminate the negative events from our lives I am certain many of us would have signed up yesterday. Life is a journey here on earth that has many unexpected events that fill each day, week, month and year. Some are welcomed events even though unexpected while others one would plan for a permanent delay if possible.
If your life was touched by Jerry then you understand fully where my words are coming from as I describe a friend that we found in him. The disciples in a moment of walking down the mountain were pressing Jesus to keep moving forward within the crowd. Jesus however didn’t listen to them and stopped to touch people on the way in His journey. It was good to have someone like Jerry pass my way and I’m glad he stopped in my life.

Until then

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz Cole Linda made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

Heartfelt and touching!

Anonymous said...

Pat Phipps made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

What a beautiful piece

Anonymous said...

Joy Robyn Dixon Fenwick made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

beautiful

Anonymous said...

Donna Garland Corey made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

Words can't describe how special this is to all of us. As I read all the many precious words spoken of him my tears are not only for the void I feel in my life but also for all the many spectacular,wonderful memories he left me with. He not only was my daddy, but my best friend. He'll be with me always,...in my heart. He's with God and I know I'll see him again. Love to all.

Anonymous said...

Amy Callihan Reid made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

Wonderful Tim....so thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

Tamara Sanborn made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

This is absolutely beautiful

Anonymous said...

Steve Newell made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

Good job Tim

Anonymous said...

Jackie Mckeehan Hubbard made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

like this too...

Anonymous said...

Comments sent via facebook:

Stephanie Harris, Louisville, KY
Meghann Gaunt, Barbourville, KY
Melanie Johnson Jackson, Barbourville, KY
Connie Mason, Lexington, KY
Michelle McDonald Alford, Lexington, KY
Jill Dozier-Thompson, Barbourville, KY
Bryan Mills, Lexington, KY
Amanda Todd, Cumberland, KY
Heather Hubbard Merida, Barbourville, KY
Sara Bright, Lexington, KY
Alisha Abner Hurst, Barbourville, KY
Sandy Broughton Harrison, Barbourville, KY
Angie Drummonds, Lexington, KY
Leslie R Brock, Barbourville, KY
Christina Sowders, Barbourville, KY
Bobbie Gene Burnside Henson, Barbourville, KY
Lori Mitchell Ownes, Barbourville, KY
Jessica Peace-Urgelles;
Angie Jenkins;
Km Hammonds Wagner, Barbourville, KY
April Patterson Messer, Lexington, KY
Wendy Brewer;
Rex J Allen, Barbourville, KY
Amanda Brown Crawford, Lexington, KY
Robyn Bradshaw, Lexington, KY
Karen Frazier, Barbourville, KY

Anonymous said...

Malena Jones made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

We're grateful for the positive impact of Jerry Garland's life.
Sending much love to the children and all of the family.

Anonymous said...

Angie Jackson made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

THIS IS A WONDERFUL AND TRUE PIECE OF WRITING.

Anonymous said...

Kay M. Dixon made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

I'm pleased people take time to honor past friendships by sharing their memories with others. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Becky Garland Miller made a comment about your note "Jerry Wayne Garland, Sr. "Unexpected Events of Life"":

And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. (Heb 13:16)

Anonymous said...

Begin forwarded message:


From: Jerry Garland II
Date: May 26, 2009 3:22:21 PM EDT
To: suneditor@pinevillesun.net
Subject: Jerry Garland column

Hello,
This is Jerry Wayne Garland II. Today I had a lady whom works for me at our Pineville location bring a copy of your newspaper so that I may read the recent column about my dad. I don't know if Tim Mills views these e-mails, but if not I would like for you to forward on a copy of this.
I wanted to personally thank the paper and Tim for such a heartfelt article. I agree too that I am thankful for dad "stopping in my life". He touched me, as a son, in ways that only a wonderful father like himself could. Dad taught me life. This is as broad as I know to put it. He taught me to be kind, yet stern. He taught me to be optimistic, but not be naive or gullible. He taught me to love, yet not to forget about the self. So again, as simple as it is...thanks.

Jerry Wayne Garland II