Sunday, June 14, 2009

Difficult Experiences and one way to move forward.

If we were to ask individuals what the most difficult time in their life has been, I am certain our ears would hear many different stories. For some listening individuals I am certain their listening ears are not ready to hear the words of their heartache shared. Honest folks would admit, at least to themselves, what the real difficulties and challenges of life are that they face. Often I have given the advice that if you must lie to someone, lie to everyone else, except yourself. The bottom line is that you need to be able to trust yourself, your judgments, and your opinions. I don’t believe you should ever lie, and I am not suggesting that you do, but philosophically speaking, you need to be able to trust yourself. If you lie to yourself, and believe your own lies you are in a world of trouble and heartache to follow.
Difficult moments in life for some individuals are the disappointments from sharing a personal experience or loss only to experience disbelief, are feeling that your experience shared was not respected. Many individuals do not know how to disagree and still be respectful of others and their positions. “Birds of a feather flock together” is a dangerous pattern to fly in. Sure it may ruffle your feathers to hear something you disagree with or something you think is silly or insignificant, but to the person sharing their life, the impact was totally life changing. Facing issues, coming to terms with experiences, and in some situations, learning to forgive yourself is key to having the strength to move forward in all difficult times.
The loss of a loved one is a hurdle that some might never overcome. An accident that leaves someone injured for life is difficult. Being bullied as a youngster has a profound impact on individuals that some are able to brush off as nothing, while others will carry that memory for their lifetime.
Goals are set in our lives so we have direction and purpose to keep moving. Goals in some situations are permanent positions established in life, while others may simply be milepost along life’s highway. One goal I set in my life a long time ago was to treat others I want to be treated. Certainly it is a pattern I have tried to practice, and with some success it has been returned to me. For the most part, I am at peace with my goal, even if I don’t experience the end result I think is appropriate. The heartache with this life experience is that many of those that would never treat you back with respect are sure to demand it out of you for themselves. I’ve learned to smile today when that happens just realizing that I am at least seeing one area that deserves a little work on their part.
A goal in my life has been to always help people. If you understand this article I assume you realize there must have been a time in my life I needed help and could not find it handy or anywhere in sight. In the long rong, it is this experience that helps make us. All of the experiences in our lives have molded us, shaped us, and with our response to that experience, prayerfully it has made us a stronger and better person that is able to make a difference in the lives of others through our experience.
Life may not be all you wanted it to be in the past, but certainly the future can be ours to enjoy, if we stand up, and begin to take steps forward. New goals and new experiences can replace failures and hard times if we look to new beginnings. I have found my new beginning that is renewed each day, it is in Jesus Christ.

Until then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhonda Broughton
toTim Hobart Mills

dateSun, May 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM
subjectGreat column this week!
mailed-bybellsouth.net



RE: Difficult experiences