Sunday, June 21, 2009

Erik Wesley Thomas - Fathers Remembered

Father’s Day is that day you want to do something really special but you are not quite sure what to buy or give to your Father that would let him know how much you care. My Father, James E. Mills, Sr., has so many bottles of Old Spice that we see them stacking up, unopened because of jus that one continuous gift. Of course, my Father always says he loves each bottle and or Old Spice product he is given. After watching him through the years, I know he’s telling the truth about that.
My Dad’s Father, C. Hobert Mills, loved two things I know for sure. He loved a pocket knife and believed you could never own to many. My Grandfather also loved an ice cream Pepsi float. I know you are thinking I wrote Pepsi and made a mistake but I did not. He preferred Pepsi over Coke Cola any day. It is amazing the things you recall when you reflect and remember the Father’s of your life. I so wish my Grandfather was still here. I think of his advice often and I use his phrases today just as if he were still here with us. I cannot help but also write my Grandfather loved Puff Wheat too.
My Grandfather’s Dad, N. B. Mills, brings to mind great memories of his favorite things. No doubt about his love for fried chicken, and I can’t blame him for one second over that choice. A matter of fact I’m thankful for that heritage of love for fried chicken he helped to pass down. Another thing he enjoyed was peace and quite. Not sure how we can bottle that up and sell it, but he sure loved not hearing doors slam and people coming and going. It could be that Great-Grandpa really didn’t enjoy silence maybe it was that he just enjoyed those around that didn’t act-up or filled themselves with foolishness? Either way, Great Grandpa taught me a lot about people, life and contentment. His life was by no means filled with the “things” I have sought to possess, but his life was filled with keeping what ya got, working hard for what you get and minding your own business. Traits that are need today if only some would take a lesson.
My mother’s Grandfather, George Martin Carnes, Sr., also left upon my life impressions I remember. Not sure if it is good writing to say I was both scared to death and loved him at that same time, but I did. He could have that look that would mess with you, but once you broke through the rough exterior I always saw in him someone that represented a time long past, yet a remaining survivor of hard days and experiences life often hands out.
On Father’s Day 2009 I received an unexpected call from Erik Wesley Thomas. Erik is in Basic Training in the United State Army and with Sunday as the only day of the week for him to have access to his phone, he made sure his father and I heard from him. Erik calls me “uncle” and I’m proud to wear that title. His father and I were college roommates. Training down in Fort Sill, Oklahoma seems to have brought about a new sense of appreciate for those that have taken time to invest in his life. I know it meant the world to me that he called to just say “Happy Father’s Day”.
Not sure what you did or how you celebrated, but at least all of us had a day to say thanks to those that have served the role of Father in our lives. Myself, I am thankful and touched by those in my life and the Father I have also been able to be for them

Until then

No comments: