Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July - American!

A Celebration of our American Freedom’s has arrived for an official celebration of our Nation’s birth this weekend. If you had to list your top 10 reason why you love the United States of America what would you put on your list?
Maybe you would take a funny approach and list things like: I can spit sunflower seeds on the ground and not go to jail; You can smoke a cigar—opps, sorry that one is limited, ha, ha, Maybe your list would be serious and show your political colors: You believe in abortion and believe the right to choose is the answer; You believe that every legislative house in America should open in prayer and in the name of Jesus; Maybe you would just include things like; You love the Dallas Cowboys and believe the Cincinnati Reds and the Cowboys are America’s Teams; How about a list of comparisons of America with other country’s to feel a sense of appreciation for the Red, White and Blue?
American is a diverse country filled with double standards and great debates about life, liberty and the pursuit of both!
I was recently at a community festival and there was a booth promoting separation of church and state and just two booths down was a local church promoting their faith and handing out information. Interesting that on the same row one could see such a difference in opinions. I guess the organizers of that part of the festival didn’t think about what the individual booths were representing and if they did and still placed them next to each other I assume the hope was for a fight between opposing views. Maybe the best way to describe that would be only in America.
Only in American we are permitted to do a lot of things. We can disagree and agree; We can vote against something and march around with banners if we like. Only in America can you say bad things about people and find a way to call it freedom of speech. Only in America can you say you don’t believe in Jesus, God, or any religion and still have all the same rights that everyone else enjoys. Only in America can you be sentence to death and it take 30 years to see the sentence carried out, if ever. You see in other countries when you are found guilty and sentenced to death, they do it immediately.
There are a lot of reason to get mad, be upset, and be hateful over policies here in America, but there are more reason I believe to celebrate and love this land moreover.
Having traveled in other parts of the world I easily love America. However, I didn’t have to leave America to love it. I learned to love America in Arjay, Kentucky. Simple life or complex life I can easily see reasons why I proudly say the Pledge of Allegiance, sing the National Anthem and place my hand over my heart in honor of my Nation in pledge of my services.
As you celebrate the 4th of July think about why you really love America and then I would strongly recommend you do something to make it a better place. Myself, I will pray for my Nation. I will seek to do good when and where I can, and even at my own cost. I will honor the service of those men and women who have fought to make the freedoms I enjoy real and I will always love this land.

Until then

No comments: