Sunday, July 19, 2009

The church is busy, so what will you do?

The creation of the personal computer has really changed our lives. Computers were first created for the government and then big businesses needed computers, or given time, value was seen for that application, and finally they worked their way down to us, the individual user. Do you know of any business today that doesn’t use computer technically?
There have been many side expansions because of computers. Excel spread sheets now replaces the once books that contained all the figures and notes one would keep in operating a business. I have a smile on my face thinking about my Great-Grandfather Nasby Mills. He would write down his notes and I.O.U.’s on card board boxes (By the way, I.O.U. stands for, “I owe you” for those who are to young to understand such outdated information)
I recently receive two emails that the electronic world calls “spam” that offered great deals. The first email said that I could have all I needed in life for the cost of a pizza a month. I had to read that email so I could discover my secret to success. The deal was simple. Purchase an insurance policy at the cost of a pizza a month and I would be set! Sounded good, but I’ve been wondering how that money will benefit me when I am not able to collect and deposit that money? Not wanting to be totally selfish, but I love pizza, and when I weigh in the balance those options, well, I guess you can figure which I am selecting correct?
The second email came with a great heading: “Millionaire shares $100,000.00 Secret”. Had my attention immediately! The only problem was the millionaire was selling his secret and since my cash flow is at the $10.00 mark, I am 99,990 thousand away from that secret. Knowing people, I assume the millionaire author of the email has made hundreds of thousands in letting out his “secret”.
It is amazing what we like to believe in. Now I like believing, I like exercising confidence, but something must be said for the obvious, no way to be true. Mountain folks understand firmly, “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”.
One could answer 100’s of emails a month like the two I received and described and see nothing for their effort. Flip the coin and exercise that same effort in Faith in Jesus Christ and see what happens. No, a $100,000.00 will not fall from the sky, nor will Pizza’s just start being delivered at your door once a month. Faith in Jesus Christ will provide you with the things I have discovered money cannot buy. Things like confidence that no matter how difficult the challenge I am never alone. Faith yields answers for questions that I have long sought and peace to press on when no answer arrives.
One truth that you can trust is that Jesus has paid it all for me and for you. It is hard for some individuals to believe in Jesus because they have never met Him personally. Another truth I can guarantee you is that if you reach out to Him, you will discover Him reaching back to you.

Until then

No comments: