Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cupcake Message

Not sure about your position on cupcakes and how they relate to the current spiritual condition of some individuals but I can clearly see the rising in the oven as they bake. A friend of mine and his family recently stopped in for a visit. Being someone who likes to entertain, this was a perfect opportunity to throw out the red carpet and make a great memory of road trips for his wife, kids and family.
Upon their arrival I thought why not fix corn dogs and grilled cheese for the evening snacks, and for breakfast the next morning I could fill the table with gravy, biscuits, fried potatoes and all the necessaries. Good idea so far, right?....until I realized he and his wife were the loving parents of a picky eating child. After a very short, “let me get the facts straight”, it was understood that cupcakes would do, and she was fully prepared for my lack of understanding and with regards to her personal disposition.
It was at that moment my mind went racing in two fast track road trips. First, I thought of my grandparents, the rules were simple, if you didn’t like what was on the table that was fine with them, you just didn’t eat. I will give them credit for me eating everything, and I guess I can just blame them too for any weight issues I might have. After all they didn’t cater to my special needs which should be a violation of something right? The second fast track was on Acts 4:12 which states, “There is no other name given among men, whereby we must be saved,” and thus cupcakes began to speak to my heart about the stubbornness of many when it comes to Jesus Christ.
Now certainly eating cupcakes will not send you to Heaven or Hell, but this is a perfect example of caution so we do not become caught up in our world, blinding us from His truth and blessing. Certainly as a child there were things I too didn’t like to eat. That memory is amazing today because I will eat most everything I refused to eat back then. I love liver & onions, green beans and even salads. Who would have imagined right? It is one of those important lessons one can gleam from life if we allow ourselves to try new things. In this situation, the cupcakes were brought along for the trip, knowing that on the road ahead there maybe things one doesn’t like. It’s a good thing when you can have another option, as a cupcake, but there are some issues where there are no other options. Salvation is one of those issues that some folks just bake up and swell over.
Acts 4:12 clearly states that Jesus Christ is the only way, but I ‘m certain there are other roads many will try. No one likes that medical conversation in which there is only one way or one direction you can go to find answers. We all want options, but in some situations, that’s not possible. Salvation is one of those positions in the Christian Faith that there is no other direction according to The Bible.
It is possible that today in many things you maybe able to say, no, I will just eat a cupcake, but there are some matters that require a real decision and direction. From some issues there are no deviations. For Christians, Jesus Christ is the only answer and if you want to eat the full meal you will need to pull up a chair to the table.

Until then

No comments: