Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hymn #150 please

Watching and scanning through my local cable providers available channels I am amazed by all the game shows that are currently running. “Back in the day”, game shows were always seen during the daytime, except of course for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I am amazed at all the different types of game shows and I confess the host of evening shows to watch is quite entertaining and I find myself upset when the Master of Ceremonies, or whatever title it is they hold to, announces we will see what happens “when we return”. Ok laughter is a good part of entertainment and suspense works too. Thinking about all these shows has my mind thinking about all the things I remember that have made a difference.
In 1981 I became a big fan of the television series Hill Street Blues. Thursday nights at 10:00pm you could set your clock on me being in front of the television watching the greatest police series ever produced. Just imagine watching a series today that doesn’t have a city you can identify? The greatness of Hill Street Blues was that watching the show you thought you knew the city and you were sure you understood the characters portrayed and that’s why folks loved the series including me. If someone wants to make my Christmas I would love the DVD series, lol!
The memories of shows and people are all the things that provide richness to our character. It takes time to officially grasp and understand the impact of television shows we watched as children and teens but given the opportunity of time all things will show themselves. Religious program was not always a part of weekly television and just as I can recall my Thursday evening show of preference, there is no doubt that Sunday mornings the Mull Singing Convention with Lady Mull and her man were a must for viewing and anyone witness them through black and white television, has equally a memory of their sponsor Cas Walker.
With the flashing of my memory bank regarding television shows, I had just such a moment in church that activated itself because of a positive and real impact upon my life while growing up. When I was a child attending my junior days at the First Baptist Church Pineville the location for Christian education occurred on the third floor of their educational building. The memory flash was the little blue Junior Hymnal that we used to sing hymns during our open assembly before dividing up into various age group classes. The hymn was # 150 and the song was My Jesus I Love Thee. When the Music Minister announced that he wanted us to sing a love song I wasn’t sure what song it would be, but as the words appeared on the projector screens in our sanctuary I thought immediately, this is a great love song and I know the page number even if we don’t use hymnals anymore.
There are many changes in life and there are many moments that create thoughts for each of to reflect upon. I will be praying that this week you will have a moment like I’ve experienced that will create a heart overflowing experience filled with love too.

Until then

No comments: