Monday, March 7, 2011

Cloyd Carnes - A Heritage of Faith passed down

Remembering the value of an individual is best honored with the way in which we live out our lives. Living with their practices and characteristics salutes them in a memorial that continues their reach and impact. Born in Walker, Kentucky and raised on Stinking Creek in Knox County, Cloyd Carnes began his life journey on December 23, 1915. His brothers and sisters all found their own journeys too, each with a drive to succeed and serve. His mother, Mossie Bargo Carnes was born on the March 4, 1887 and his father George Carnes was born on June 5, 1890. Cloyd Carnes lived 95 years touching lives through his sweet spirit and genuine desire to be honest and fair with all he met on his journey. A goal he achieved that always unveiled a smile along with his humble spirit that touched my life certainly.
He married Rosa Carnes and she was the perfect companion and life mate and together they touched the lives of all they encountered. Cloyd was a student of the Bible and he loved to share God’s word. He loved his family and believed the joys of life were further extended by his grandchildren and even the addition of great grandchildren to his family heritage and linage, He was never shy in talking about those extra blessings in his life but also mindful of the enjoyment others had too in listening to them share about their families. To have witnessed that on many different occasions reminds me of the special care he gave to making sure everyone had a chance to touch lives in talking about family accomplishments.
Cloyd Carnes was a brother to my Grandfather Alonzo Carnes. His wife, Fannie Bingham Carnes passed away at 19 years of age. Aunt Rose and Uncle Cloyd were faithful in filling a parental gap and as a great-nephew I felt his love as a Grandfather who never allowed a single moment to pass without expressing his love. The times he and Aunt Rose came to listen at me preach or sing will also be cherished memories of a part of their expressions of care for me. When my Grandfather Alonzo passed away it was Uncle Cloyd who sat next to me during his funeral and it was Uncle Cloyd who spent extra time sharing with me family history, the difficulties of growing up in hard times, surviving the Great Depression, and the importance of forgiveness and love.
A man of quite words, yet when Rev. Cloyd Carnes spoke, his words was filled with powerful meaning. He and Aunt Rose attended the Whetstone Christian Church and Williamsburg and Whitley County was home. Highway 92 always had a special meaning in my travels. His brother Lee Carnes served as Pastor of the Greasy Creek Baptist Church in Bell County and with Uncle Cloyd on one end of Highway 92 and Uncle Lee on the other end I always felt like I was in the family fold of help and care.
I have been given a rich history of character and practices. The hats I wear today remind me of people I have loved and it is my inner tribute of their impact on my life. I pray my Christian Faith stands as a public signs of a Heritage of Faith I have been blessed to witness too.

Until then

No comments: