Sunday, July 17, 2011

Carnes Family Reunion - Walker, Ky

History here in the Mountains of Kentucky has always been an instrumental part of who we are. Two things that have slipped away from old heritage with our modern day families would be work longevity with one company and a big family. Most of our forefathers were farmers and for those that had other jobs they went to work for that company and worked their entire lives as a loyal employee. They were also proud to say, “I’ve been here 35 years”…something that you just don’t hear from our generation when we talk about our employer. Those in the field of education have best chance of making that statement, but the rest of us will see 7 to 12 career changes in our life time, so the statistics say. As for big families, well, I’m smiling as I type this thinking about all the families I know. Particularly I am thinking about the one child families I know. No family heritage in that size family in Kentucky. I often share with folks that our grandparents, great-grandparents and great great-grandparents all had been families because they needed workers on the farm.
This Saturday, July 16, 2011, my family is having a big reunion at the Walker Baptist Church in Walker, Kentucky. Directions are simple, just drive up Stinking Creek and stop at the church. Walker, Kentucky is home to the Carnes’ and I am most thankful for the heritage our family represents. George Carnes, Sr., was my great-grandfather and Mossie Carnes, or “Big Mom” as she was affectingly called. My grandfather we simply called “Pap”. A name I love myself and when the blessings of my life tell me they love me, I transfer some of that love to “Pap” and the meaning he had in my life. He and my great-grandmother had 10 kids, and they raised them all on Stinking Creek.
My grandfather, Alonzo Carnes was the oldest of the Carnes Children, followed by my uncles Cloyd; McCoy; Flem D; George Jr; Lee Roy; and the baby was Uncle Raymond. My aunts were Edna, Dorothy, and the baby on that side is my Aunt Evelyn. Ten (10) children is what I would call a big family and if you could still see the house where they were raised you would have asked how? There is something to be said for the generation of my great-grandparents and there is something that must also be said for the generation of my great aunts and uncles too. They had a determination to serve our Country in time of war and they became teachers, farmers, working in factors and they all left home at some point to help support the family they left behind. Jobs in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio were necessary and whatever it took, they were willing. Those family traits are not easily seen in the families of today, but they were back then.
When you look at the off-springs of these 10 children you can see how our families have also mirrored in part the heritage that was passed down to each of us. Personally, family has been and will always remind a vital part of my life. We’ve all got a few cousins down the line that we would like to change or fix. If you are thinking, not me, then I might suggest you look a little harder at your family line…yes, I’m smiling and laughing and guessing you are to. The truth is the truth, and as folks often say, that will stand when the worlds on fire. I was taught by my parents to love my family. After all we moved from Michigan to Kentucky so we could get to know our family heritage and to the best of my abilities I have tried to know and cherish each and every one of my immediate and extended family members for who they are.
It is not always possible to make every family reunion, but it is certainly possible to love your family when you see them and as opportunity presents itself to make you best effort to not forsake the assembling of oneself at that special occasion. Some extended family members are thinking, “no one will know me if I show up, but I would sure like to go”…well, there is no time like the present and don’t worry about remembering everyone’s name that you meet….that’s what name tags are for. Happy Reunion to my family and yours!

Until then

No comments: