Thursday, May 31, 2012

Proud & Thankful American

A proud American I am, and that pride is filled with gratefulness for those who have served our country to defend her freedom and our democracy. America, the colors red, white, and blue, liberty, religion and free speech are some of the words that help describe the land we as citizens call home, and the land that other citizens from all over the world also wants to call home. Those other citizens throughout the world go to amazing efforts to get to America. The efforts include obtaining a work visa, or an educational visa. Other efforts include the legal process to become a United State citizen. Certainly I could write to no end about the illegal efforts that are successfully accomplished and to the attempts that end in arrest or deportation. The debate is never ended as to what our country should do and the responsibility we as citizens have regarding illegals that are here and for the record, let’s point out that illegals are located in every state in our Union and that includes our communities here in Southeastern Kentucky. What makes America so great is our freedom. Freedom is what also gives some folks the greatest headaches and frustration. For example I love the flag of our country. Having traveled overseas it has always caused me to stop and take a picture when I see it flying over our embassy or at a military base. It is a symbol of all that we are as a country. Some feel it a matter of freedom of speech and a right to burn the flag. Myself, I would never burn the flag of our country except as prescribed as the means to destroy a flag that is not in proper condition to be displayed. Burning it because you are mad, upset, don’t like a policy or a law, I am appalled by such action, but I also understand that the courts of our land have ruled this matter of free speech is covered by our Constitution. It is examples like this that give us cause for debate, but it is these very things that also make America great! Perfect, no, but nevertheless great in every way. From the American Revolution to our current deployment of soldiers throughout the world, American Citizens have been drafted and volunteered to step up to answer our countries call. Here in the mountains of Kentucky we have the 149th Unit of the Kentucky National Guard that has produced hundreds of just such Americans here in our daily midst. Not to mention the individuals who have signed up for full time service and careers in the military. It is this type of service that merits our highest levels of respect and appreciation. The Bible is quite clear about who the greatest is among us. It is those that serve. That service is not just the “one mile” required, but the real service is going the distance of the “second mile” that is not required. It is no doubt that this is the sacrifice that makes all the difference when attempting to make an impact into the life of another. Going the full distance! When I think about the ultimate freedom I think about the freedom that I discovered in Jesus Christ. When I think about sacrifice I think about Jesus and that He gave all on the cross to pay my debt. When I was a child and growing up, I had the privilege of writing I.O.U’s. I also had the experience of having my father and mother paying that tab of soda’s and candy bars too. I am pretty sure that while I was growing up I didn’t really understand the freedom and the privilege I had been granted. It was never written out by the way. I had no document signed by my parents allowing me to sign I.O.U’s and I had nothing that guaranteed me that my parents would honor my word as I charged such growing up. What I do know is that they did on all points of concern honor my commitment and in the process they taught me a valuable lesson too. There is something about the assurance of knowing that those I depended upon would always come through. My parents are now the holders of the biggest I.O.U. and it is what I owe them for never leaving me standing alone in my obligations. In America we have an I.O.U. too. It belongs to the men and women who have given to fulfill our commitments and obligations as a nation. One resolution we as citizens should possess is our possession of a grateful heart for the sacrifice of all who have made America Great. Until then

No comments: