Thursday, May 3, 2012

Second Time Around - Jeff Musgrave - Joshua Howard - Whitney Gouch - Nashville Country Music Marathon 2012

You may have never used the phrase “second time around” but I am betting you have heard the expression before. We all like second chances to get something right or to correct the record. I have no clue who started the phrase, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Most of us do not like to admit when we know we need a second chance around, but if we could find it within ourselves to be honest, one could make a list of occurrences I would think. In 2010 gospel artist and song writer Shannon Bunch and his wife Melissa, participated in the St. Jude’s Country Music Marathon in Nashville, Tennessee. Now here is the truth. Sometimes when folks accomplish something we who are standing by just don’t want to give them much credit for the accomplishment. We normally attempt to explain it away as if anyone could do it. Or, that it was nothing. In my friendship with Shannon Bunch, which has been in place for over 30 years, I do give him a hard way to go from time to time. It is a part of our friendship that we both enjoy. For me, I thought if Shannon could do it, I could. Little did I know of all the walking he was doing to be successful and me?...I was going to walk around and be just fine, I thought. On the weekend of my first marathon event in 2011, my support team consisted of Joshua Howard, Whitney Gooch and James Stephen Brown. Joshua, Whitney and Stephen were all a part of “Team Timmy” but my performance was a struggle. I did good the first 3 or 4 miles, no problems, but then I notice my hands were swelling, and by mile 6 my feet were hurting but I kept telling myself, this is normal you are fine. Of course, by the time mile 8 arrived my feet were on fire, and yes, I mean every sense of the word except actual flames. I thought about giving up and would have but being out on a 13.1 mile walk and stopping would mean they would have to come looking for me and I opted to just press on. I didn’t know it but they were waiting for me at mile 12 and were going to walk with me the rest of the way. The other truth to this story is that I don’t even remember what we talked about or any question they asked me. I was in too much pain to hear anything and with my arms and hips joining my feet and hands in swelling and pain, I just wanted my big idea of saying I could do this if Shannon could, to come to an end. I learned a great lesson at my expense and one I plan on not repeating ever again. This year I decided that I would join Melissa in her return to the Country Music Marathon and I would participate with her, but I was going to do some things differently this time. In January, I sought out the help of Jeff Musgrave, originally from Barbourville/Knox County, who is a physical therapist with Cardinal Hill Hospital in Lexington. Jeff is a marathon hero of mine. He ran the Kentucky Derby Marathon a few years back and while I didn’t understand the commitment he too had made to accomplish his goal I had admired him knowing that 26.1 is a long way to travel on foot. Jeff brought together a plan and a training schedule for me as I prepared for my “second time around”. He would coach me every day by text message, email and phone calls and he even surprised me by traveling to coach in person this past Saturday, April 28th. I reached certain miles stones for the race. The 5K mark (3.1) I reached in 00:48:34. This was a 10 minute improvement and the 10 mile marked I made in 2:45:37. These times are record pacing for my legs and as I reached mile post 11 and 12 I could not wait to see the sign that said 13. Having never ran the Nashville Marathon before I didn’t know that the last leg of the journey was downhill on a bridge and a right turn directly into L.P. Field where the Titans play. Of course I was excited because downhill was the only way I could travel as I reached the finished line. Joshua & Whitney there again to cheer me on and the results were totally different. Not sure what you need a “second time around” on, but I needed one on this type of event. Running has never been a past time of mine or even an interest. I have pushed myself to success in many things over the course of my life’s journey and I’ve done so learning about me everytime. The Bible says that if you “Don’t grow weary of doing good, in due season you will reap if you faint not”. Galatians 6:9. Whatever it is you need to go for again, do it. You will like the results. Until then

No comments: