Friday, January 11, 2013

2013 is the perfect time

Week #2 of the year 2013 is already trotting down the calendar road at a record pace. There is an expression that I am confident we have each heard spoken before. “Time stands still for no one”, sounds famous and often used, but the expression is difficult to credit to any individual. Robert Frost said “Time and Tide wait for no man, but time always stands sill for a woman of thirty”. I think I shall leave that interpretation to you the reader. Who wants a controversy this early in the year? There is an account in the Book of Joshua, Chapter 10:12-13 where the sun and moon stood still until Joshua and the children of Israel were able to defeat the Amorites. Scripture in the Bible also says that there was never a day like that before it, or after. Personally I love a sunset and sunrise, and many times I have wished I could have caused that moment to stand still. The best I could do was simply to take a picture and pray that I was able to capture the moment. My camera skills are not the best even with all the modern technology. I think if I write this next statement folks will classify me as “old”, but there are too many options and settings for me to really figure out. The Polaroid age was a good time if you think about it. Especially once the built in flash was invented! Now that was something. No more photo bulbs to put into our camera, it is hard to have even imagined that, before it happened? When Joshua in the Bible called out to the Lord and the sun and moon stood still that was an unimagined moment too. With time racing already in 2013 what would you like to capture if you could? A sunset, a moment of laughter, a spoken word or maybe a gesture you would like to take back? How about a conversation that you were never able to finish or an experience you would love to repeat. It is easy enough to list the situations we wish could be changed, but think on the positive side of time and the opportunity we have to create new memories. This next effort could be the perfect step in helping things become balanced and at least capture a new moment, even if for just a little while. In 2012 I had selected 2 Peter 1:3 as a verse of scripture to focus upon and memorize. This has been my practice for several years but this year, 2013, is going to be a little different. During this Christmas Season while singing “O Holy Night” at church I had a moment that I want desperately to re-create. The moment was a feeling and a thought of what would happen if Christians took to heart the words, “His law is Love and His gospel is Peace”. The actions of Jesus Christ himself should be all that we as Christians need for motivation to the cause. I am not sure what moment in time you wish that could be commanded to stand still but I am confident of one thing for certain. 2013 is the right time to see our moment of opportunity and as time continues to move, each day another opportunity to give someone their moment to remember as remarkable and you a part of it! Until then

No comments: