Thursday, July 17, 2014

One question: Who is Jesus?

If you are the person that after hearing a presentation you ask a question, that is a good sign. It is a sign that you were listening for sure and a sign that you wanted clarification or better understanding. These are all good questions and actions. Asking questions takes no practice, yet sometimes adults who want to ask questions are so hesitant to ask them. Consider a little children who is speaking their first words or who is beginning to put together parts of a sentence. Often the first words outside of 'mommy' or 'daddy' that come from a child is a question. The question children love to ask is why? This question could be a bit frustrating always having to explain, but personally I believe this is a good thing. I say let children ask away and let us as adults give children more answers to their questions, creating even more questions because we are giving them attention to their concerns or interest. Asking questions for answers is always a proper thing to do. I have discovered asking my friends and those I meet the question who is Jesus has helped me as I've prepare to serve them through ministry, be a better friend, or get to know them more. Who is Jesus, is a question that Jesus himself asked of His disciples. Jesus asked the disciples who do people say that I am? Asking such a personal question can be scary, especially when we are not sure what the answer will be. When we ask someone what they have heard, or hearing from others we should be prepared for their interpretation of what they heard. Most often it is a summary statement of their opinion. Nevertheless, it is an answer to the question. Sometimes when we ask a question, the person we are asking will give us an answer they believe we want to hear. Personally, I don't' want an answer I want to hear, I want an answer I need to hear, or an answer that is the truth. The question I am asking when I ask a person Who is Jesus?, is really a personal question, Who is Jesus to you? The answer I am looking for is one that is first hand. Our answer should be our answer and not one trumped up to get us through to the next question or one that ends this conversation because one is uncomfortable. The answer to the question who is Jesus will always be different depending upon the person. I imagine at this moment some Christians reading this newspaper column are saying well I know the answer to the question who is Jesus?: He is the Son of God; He died for our sins; He arose from the dead; He performed miracles on earth; He is coming back; He died on a cross; He founded the church; All of these statements are true, but these facts are head knowledge answers. These answers could be shared by anyone. You do not have to be a Christian to provide any of these answers. Answers can be given without faith or belief. Answers people give many times are general answers and the answer might not have any personal connection at all to the one providing the answer. I appreciate facts but when I ask an individual Who is Jesus? I am asking them to share with me who Jesus is to them personally. Getting caught up in all the facts can be a real distraction when attempting to share with a family member or friend that God loves them and has a plan for their lives. If you have been attempting to have a conversation with someone about Christian faith, them believing in Jesus, or any of the 'church terms' we are so good at using, make sure to explain the question you are asking. Also, make sure that you ask that question in a loving way and that your tone of voice doesn't sound superior or all knowing. People know immediately when our actions are genuine or contain some other type of motive. Remember, when you ask others who Jesus is to them, the answer is their answer and not the one you would provide. I've heard plenty of honest answers to my inquiring question. The most honest answer shared is, "I don't really know who Jesus is to me". Honestly is a great place to begin a real friendship. Don't be afraid of answers you might, just be ready to tell people who Jesus is to you and your personal story of His love for you will be the perfect place to begin. Until then

No comments: