Sunday, March 22, 2009

Assumptions I am "assuming"

Assumptions are most of the time not such a good thing to assume. Yet, we make many assumptions about people, things and situations. Growing up one of the first things we learn without many lessons from others is to be selfish and want what we want. I am ‘assuming’ that no one reading this column has ever taught their child to cry like a baby until they get what they want right? I am ‘assuming’ that when we watch others we don’t first think, look at that idiot, right? Especially if we think what they are doing is, well, let me just say stupid, right? Assumptions about why people do what they do always has gotten me in a mess, especially if I have never given them time or even a change to explain or share their position or point of view.
I am ‘assuming’ that most of us think we understand life and situations enough that we don’t need to hear someone explain what’s happening or going on in their world, right? When I think about the way Jesus interacted with people I am always challenged because His way is so different from mine. I guess the problem is that I am ‘assuming’ I know best when I really know only the Lord would know best. Why in the world would I be this way when I know a better way? Self evaluation is never easy, but I have discovered a better life as a Christian because I have decided to look at things different then my normal ‘assuming’ methods.
When looking at others I have discovered it is best to see them as Jesus Christ see’s them. Best example would be looking at them as an individual created by God and for His glory, instead of my assumed wisdom and skills of just looking and watching, and making a judgment. I have no clue, so I am making not ‘assuming’ anything, but it has been said we might need to walk in another’s shoes before we cast our opinion. We live in a society that is totally involved in making judgments, and I do know that it is necessary for each of us to make judgments and decisions, but as a Christian there is much more to our positions, or at least there should be when it comes to us looking upon people. Christians should always remember that God Loves everyone. I recently was reminded through a conversation with a group of Christians that when others do not look like us, most, or at least this group, took the stand off approach instead of the Jesus approach. Jesus never walked away from anyone. When He saw folks different or in need, He would go toward them. That approach is very different from the approach of many Christians today. I am only ‘assuming’ what a difference we would make in the lives of people if we took His approach rather then our personal assumptions. In looking upon people, observing them, we must be cautious to consider ourselves lest we fall into the same type of temptation, or find ourselves in their experience because of trying times. Some of the decisions we make create the consequences that we must live through in our lives, but even with that being true, it gives Christians no position to be less helpful, or understanding. The woman who was caught in adultery and brought to Jesus didn’t hear anything from Him other then, “go and sin no more”. I am only ‘assuming’ but I might just go all out and even sin, if you consider betting to be such, and say, I bet most Christians could not have just let her walk away without a lecture. Most I am ‘assuming’ would have felt it their duty to offer all the corrective steps she should take in life immediately, and as I think about that conversation, I am only ‘assuming’ the presence of love in one’s voice, mannerism or gestures toward the hurting one would not be encouraging or supporting. I could write personally and say, that in my life, I have experienced the latter on occasions and often wondering if I were to practice the Golden Rule and do unto them as they had just done unto me, how they would feel? I am only ‘assuming’ not so hot, but we normally wouldn’t make that kind of assumption thinking about others in our actions.
People all around us are struggling. People in the pews of our churches and pew who would say they will never sit in those same church pews. I am ‘assuming’ you would called the first group a saved group because they are at least in the church, right?, and the other group, we would tag as lost, since they won’t be coming inside the church to act like we do, right?

Until then

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim, thank you so much for your columns. You are appreciated for your insightful commentary.
Again thanks,

Marilynn Brittain
Editor-Barbourville Advocaite

[editor@barbourville.com]