Sunday, March 29, 2009

Darrell "Dog" Brock, Sr. What I learned from him...

Watching people has always been a hobby. I guess some folks will think it to be a little strange but to watch people at work, how they mingle with folks, the conversations they have, friendships you develop because of such observations and inner actions has also become a blessings. Especially when you consider the growth you witness in those we look upon. Those folks often become heroes, people we attempt to emulate in actions and deeds.
Children are fun to watch growing up because they are so eager to learn, do and experience everything. Adult can also be fun if we remain eager to learn, do and experience too, just like we did when we were kids, if we work toward those as goals throughout our lifetime.
As a child, teen and adult I have often looked at others attempting to find the good and to see what I could learn from their lives. An adult that I have watched in my life time was Darrell Brock, Sr. I first met Darrell though my parents and their involvement in Masonic work, and the Order of Eastern Star. Bell Lodge # 691 and the OES # 89 in Pineville were activities, programs and events that I had a chance to learn from Darrell, or “Dog” as he was well known as. Darrell and Joann were also active parents, involved in the lives of their two children, Darrell, Jr., and Craig. I was a part of the last graduating class of Bell County High School, while Darrell was a part of the first graduating class of the new Bell County High School, with the consolidation of Lone Jack. I went to Arjay Elementary and Darrell and Craig went to Right Fork. We have always been friends as long as I can remember.
When I learned of Darrell’s passing the first question that came to my mind was a wondering question. What did I think he enjoyed most about life? Having observed “Dog” as a child and teen, and then to work with him on projects and various events as an adult I believe I also knew my answer to my question too.
The love of a grandfather and grandmother for their grandchildren is not only a special bond, but a unique opportunity for children to build memories and “precious times”. These moments develop from simple moments like walking around with, hanging out in the truck, car or as “Dog” loved, a good 4-wheeling trip. Nothing I know fills the ears so completely as listening to the stories and experiences of your grandparents. For those that lost that opportunity to build, I am sure there is a void that develops from time to time where one wishes they could only remember or had the opportunity to have gotten to know their loved ones.
While I believe Darrell spent great quality time pouring into his grandchildren, my wondering didn’t select that as “most enjoyed” in life. Sitting with Darrell eating breakfast from time to time on the right fork side of things, talking with him at Lodge Meetings, and having great conversations about Bell County, life and a host of lively discussions, I believe Darrell’s greatest moment was living to see his two sons become great men, who have made a difference with their lives, where they were planted in life.
When your children grow up and you see them making their own decisions, and even taking positions that you yourself might not select, there is still a great deal of joy in knowing they are able to make great decisions on their own, being themselves, fighting for what they believe in. “Dog” was an honest man, who gave honest effort in doing the best he knew, and there should be great personal satisfaction in that knowledge for his children and for Joann too.
One of my favorite quotes “Dog” and I often laughed at was, “some republicans can make a democrat out of anybody”. I am smiling even now as I type this, because Darrell learned to enjoy life at all stages, and I admired that trait in him. Darrell Jr., and Craig stand on the foundation of their parents, like we all do, but they too have also learned to step out on their own and become their own people too. This is a trait I also admire in them as well. One of my other fond memories of “Dog” is from our discussions of where we are from. The mountains are a great place to call home and he was never ashamed of where he was from or what he had accomplished. Another trait I personally admired. I am very proud of my home, where I live, where I grew up, and faith that with hard work and dedication, I could become anything I wanted to be, even if others thought I was lacking because of where I hailed.
Darrell Brock, Sr., was a friend to many from all over Southeastern Kentucky. Some friends he earned from his work in the coal industry. Some friends he earned from his work in the Blue Lodge and others from his many travels and adventures in life. Me, he earned as a friend by being real and trustworthy. And I know he had great pleasure in his children, something to always remember.

Until then

No comments: