Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas....really....what option

The traditions of the Holiday can almost put your life into a frenzy. It’s Christmas Cards that must be mailed out, using last years addresses from cards you received….only to remember that you never ever wrote down any of those addresses from last year, so that’s out. Maybe it’s a gathering of friends that you just haven’t seen in a while, so why not have them over to the house, what a great idea, right? Only to realize that once you finally got around to inviting folks two days before you wanted to have your social gathering that everyone was already committed to other things…that’s a bummer. How about attending a Christmas Play or a Parade…that will work, but not writing down the starting time will make for horrible seating inside, not to mention bad parking outside, and if it were to be raining, just double the negative experience that you wanted to be so positive?
I am pretty sure that I have mentioned some truths that folks can relate to reflecting back over Christmas 2009. I know I did a few things different this year to keep me out of the frenzy of the moment. For instance, I went to a shopping mall just to see if I could keep count of all the people that got mad because I was just walking inside the mall and not running over folks like they were. I will share that I also found it interesting to see how many people wouldn’t hold the door for someone with arms full of packages, or to just be nice and simply hold the door as a kind gesture. What I witnessed was when someone would hold the door folks would just keep walking in and out and no one would say thanks to the guy holding the door or replace themselves with their kind gesture allowing him to walk through the door he was opening in a good spirit. It was always interesting when that guy finally just quit holding the door that someone in his family would always gesture with a like “why did you do that, you should have known no one would be nice“, sorry I can‘t help but smile and laugh just a little. I don’t know what makes up Holiday Fun, but it seems like a lot of folks just don’t have any fun during this time of the year. Seemed to me most folks were mad that they had to buy a gift or upset that they didn’t know what to buy. Given those circumstances I’m not sure if I would be buying any gift, but then again, I’m not like most folks.
Holiday’s should be enjoyed. Sure it’s nice to have a schedule and a plan, but to be all bothered and worked up into a frenzy is not my plan. For instance, the family Christmas meal didn’t happen on the time mother wanted it to happen and I simply said, hey, if people don’t want to wait and can’t understand why it’s late, sorry about their luck. Of course I figured no one in the family was leaving to go eat some place else and if they did, that would leave more for me, and I would think that would be a good thing! Ok, I’m really smiling now, but I believe you should have enough thoughts to pull together the real picture we should have for our lives. From time to time rushing to accomplish a task is fine, but if that rush is created just because we kept putting things off and off, no, it’s not so good. Having to think about what people would enjoy or could use in life should be a great thing. Thinking about folks you care about shouldn’t be a negative chore.
I guess this is what happens when you forget about the real meaning of Christmas and the Holiday’s….Lord help me to always stay focused.

Until then

No comments: