Sunday, December 20, 2009

"First Christmas in Heaven"

I first published this poem December 1998 after the passing of my grandfather, C. Hobert Mills. For the past 11 years I have continued to resubmit this column each year not just because it is precious to me, but over the years I have received hundreds of emails and notes sharing how it has also touched others lives too. This year I am looking at pictures of loved ones and friends that remind me of great moments shared in life while here. My pictures are covering ages from 98 to 17. Having Christian Faith is a blessing that provides me with peace and comfort at this time of the year and I pray that you will find that same joy even with the loss of your loved one.

My First Christmas in Heaven

I see the countless Christmas Trees around the world below
With tiny lights, like Heaven’s stars, reflecting on the snow.

The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away the tear
For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear
But the sounds of music can’t compare with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you, the joy their voices bring,
For it is beyond description to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart
But I am not so far away, we really aren’t apart.

So be happy for me, dear ones, you know I hold you dear
And be glad I’m spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory of my undying love.

After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.

Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do.
For I can’t count the blessing or love He has for each of you.

So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear.
Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

Until then

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany Zik, Owensboro, KY.

Tim, thank you so much for posting this. This Christmas is my Grandmothers first Christmas with Jesus and I miss her so much I can hardly breathe sometimes. But, this poem paints a beautiful picture of how wonderful her first Christmas in Heaven is. Thanks again! Merry Christmas! Can't wait to see ya again buddy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mendy Caldwell, Nashville, TN.

I cannot tell you how much this has just blessed me - my 1st Christmas w/o my dad! That is beautiful - made me very happy! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

So touching. Our 15 year old son went to be with Jesus in 2005 and we lost a dear friend this year, Miss Regina. I know they both celebrated with Jesus this year.