Saturday, October 29, 2011

Favorite Things - Homecomings & Reunions

the song because of the idea of things we all enjoy. Things we cherish. Things we want to hold on to
and things that make a difference. Things like white copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. All of
these and so many more are just a few of my favorite things. A part of my personal collection of
favorite things includes homecomings, reunions, and good ole get-togethers.
Homecoming for me as a Baptist means one image, one memory comes to my mind ahead of all
others. Homecoming in Baptist life means preaching, singing, and eating. Please allow me to focus on
the eating for this column! The food at a homecoming is like no other time in the yearly life of a church
and her fellowship schedule. Everyone who cooks brings their best dish or two and everyone knows
whose food was prepared by whom just from the look. Yes, you just need to ask, where are Aunt
Dorothy’s dumplings’ and everyone there are can show you which bowl is hers. Real homecoming
events have real fried chicken too. Now I realize the Colonel is important in Kentucky, but that is not
exactly the real fried chicken I am talking about. I am thinking Grandma Stella’s fried chicken, now that
is real! How about Aunt Mert’s friend green tomatoes, and Lord only knows no one could fix enough
fried potatoes for such an event, but when someone does, they don’t last very long in the line that is a
fact for sure.
Reunions are a great time too. Seeing family and friends from time to time reminds all of us of
the memories we’ve shared and the great time we enjoyed growing up at all phases of life. The one
thing about reunions that I really enjoy is the photos of each family. In my personal family tradition that
is the one that that I always look forward to. My family always starts with the oldest child of those we
gather in memory of and we introduce folks and have what I call “mind history flashes” as we see
everyone. Plus it is a lot of fun to see how we change from year to year too.
Good ole get-togethers are a favorite thing as this is sometimes the unorganized event that just
happens when you find two or three folks in the same place at the same time and you walk away
saying “man we have got to get-together more often”. These get-togethers are also planned with due
notice mailed, emailed, texted, or called. Normally we meet at a restaurant when this is the case and
those who come often bring things that really remind us all of a day and time we just hung out and lived
life. I just recently got out my high school letterman’s jacket and the biggest shock was that there was
no way I was fitting into that jacket today. So, there will not be any such occasion that I will be showing
that off at such a gathering anytime soon. It is crazy in a way how we grow, how our body takes on
different shapes and the clothes we once wore just don’t seem to fit any more.
Favorite things are awesome to reflect upon. Favorite places can easily be included in such a
list. Today, Whitley County is host to such a favorite thing for many people including myself. It is
Homecoming at Cumberland College. I know, some will say, “Tim, it is the University of the
Cumberlands”, well I know that, but my diploma says, Cumberland College and I was an Indian and not a
Patriot, so if all is ok with you, I will live in History for this weekend and reflect with my friends on the
days of Cumberland College and Dr. Boswell. That time period sure brings back a lot of memories and
the leadership that Dr. Bowell gave to Cumberland should always be remembered by those of us who
had a chance to experience his leadership style and love for students. Certainly today, the University of
the Cumberlands looks like a totally different place then when I first arrived on campus. Dr. Taylor has
done an outstanding job of bringing change to the campus, updating facilities, and simply making the
place beautiful. It very well could be the most beautiful campus in the south.
As I visit Williamsburg and the campus this weekend for homecoming I am certainly looking
forward to enjoying the renewed friendship of friends that I may not have seen in 25 years. There is no
doubt as I return to Cumberland College for homecoming I will be thinking about Ms. Mac; Harvey the
campus mascot at the time; The old grey brick building, which isn’t gray anymore; Dr. Harold Wortman
my friend and mentor; Vic Edwards; and Mr. Shaw. That man who kept the campus in shape back then.
Lots of things floating in my mind for this college homecoming and I am just glad they are all a part of

my favorite things, thanks Cumberland.

Until then

No comments: