Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pineville Sun Column - Corbin Redhounds & Bell County Bobcats Unite....in prayer

If there is any subject I could write about to get the blood of most individuals heated would be the discussion of sports or our teams. Now personally I must confess I grew up in a time when Bell County had lots of sports loyalties. Once upon a time Bell County had three high schools. Bell County; Lone Jack; and Henderson Settlement; Bell County was also the home and continues to be the home of two other independent districts, Pineville & Middlesboro. I am going to add one more team to my list and that is Red Bird. Yes, Red Bird has always been a part of Bell County especially for those living in the southeastern part of Bell County.

Lots of different mascots one could follow back then and lots of loyalties too. It was 1976, the Bi-Centennial Year of our Nation that Henderson Settlement closed and then in 1984, the Lone Jack mustangs and the Bell County Bobcats consolidated together. Me, I have always been a Maroon & White Bobcat and I suppose I always will be. I could write a list of my friends who when to Lone Jack, Red Bird, Pineville and Middlesboro. I never felt the need to develop a “hate” like I saw witnessed in some because of their loyalties. I guess it is probably true that some folks carry such an attitude still, but that type of mind set has never been a part of my life. Maybe it was because Coach Bill Adams from Pineville was always so nice to me and it never seemed to bother him that I lived in the County. No misunderstanding here, I know he loved Pineville and bleed maroon and gold, but it never seemed to cause him to mistreat me or wish me ill in any form. There was no greater fan of the mustangs than “Stick” Overton or Coach Wayne Walters, and I always felt welcomed and liked among them too. Each full of passion and love for their schools and personally I appreciated and respected that then, and still today.

Sports brings out the best and the worst I suppose, and our emphasis should always be on the best, believing in excellence, rejecting the negative and applauding the efforts of all who participate on and off the field.

This Friday night, gathering on Log Mountain, will be Bobcats of Bell County and the Redhounds of Corbin. Bobcats claw and Redhouds howl. I am sure the fans will fill the stands to push, pull and yell for their teams. One aspect that will be most unique at this game will be the united effort of the visitors during the moment of silence. Reciting the Lords Prayer in unison is unique and it can be a powerful statement of united efforts by students from both schools as they work together to pray.

The First Priority Clubs of these two regions are both active and the student leadership of both clubs have the legal grounds to believe in prayer and to support prayer. I applaud the work of these students and I encourage all the parents and adults how attend such events to also encourage and support the student leadership as they exercise their legal rights as students. The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America is important, and it is important to practice our rights too.

Until then

No comments: