Saturday, October 22, 2011

Prayer; Tradition; Change; (Bell County High School Football Prayer before games)

Sometimes when we see problems we see them from a very small window. We look at things as if we are the only person that is dealing with such and we feel isolated and often in the position of one against the world. This situation develops because we are unaware of the many other things happening around us in a much larger picture. There is no doubt that issues specific to us have the potential of having a greater impact on us, rather than someone just out in the general public. Nevertheless, there are many things that impact each of us in different ways and just because we may not have direct involvement it cannot negate the opportunity and possibility of an impact at many different levels.
Prayer is a subject of much conversation here in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky currently because of the threat of a lawsuit against the Bell County School District from the Freedom from Religion Foundation. The Freedom from Religion Foundation, an organization that is located in the State of Wisconsin, notified the Bell County Schools of the legal action they were going to pursue against the school district if they did not cease having prayer before their football games. After the Bell County School District consulted with their legal counsel they ended the long standing tradition of prayer before games.
I have written prior to this column that in the mountains we don’t “take to well” to outsiders coming into our communities to tell us what to do and how to do it. Community standards are what attract each of us to where we live. When we ask someone what you like about this area, it is easily understood from their answers what makes our community special. I would say that prayer, and more especially public prayer is a part of our tradition and one that is and has been enjoyed throughout our communities, and not just Bell County. As a sports official for the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, I have heard prayers before games in every sport, and I consider this to be a strong tradition in Southeastern Kentucky, and one that we should be proud of.
The Freedom from Religion Foundation, on its home web page, states that they are “the nation's largest association of freethinkers (atheists, agnostics and skeptics) with over 17,000 members.” I myself am a freethinker and I applaud all such freethinkers. This is one avenue for development of ideas, goals, and to see dreams become reality. I also respect those that are atheists, agnostics and skeptics. Atheists deny the existence of a deity. Personally, I acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord, Savior, and Creator of the Universe. I believe without Him, nothing was made and without Him, the real meaning of our purpose on earth is missed. If you want to live as if there is not God, you will not hear me complaining about your position. This position is one that I gained from Jesus. Christianity allows you to make your own decision up about what you believe about Jesus if you choose to believe anything at all. Agnostics are those that I would define as folks who are stuck in the middle of believing and knowing. They want to believe in something, but choose to believe in nothing unless they are able to define it and place their finger on it. We all know what a skeptic is. They simply doubt it all and claim no position relative to matters of faith or belief. Now if you are one of these three or another type of individual outside of these realms, you too have my respect.
When I prayed in the Chambers of the House of Representatives in Kentucky back in 1998, Kathy Steins, a Jewish lawmaker from Lexington, unleashed a verbal attack against my prayer. I simply ended my prayer in the name of Jesus. When asked why I did this, I said I was a Christian Minister, and there was no other name for me to pray to as my faith was based upon Jesus. There is plenty of room in Southeastern Kentucky for those that pray and those that do not pray. Respecting the position of each is important as we continue to live lives of faith and for some, no faith at all. Traditions are an important aspect of our lives in Southeastern Kentucky. Change is something that also doesn’t come easy.

Until then

No comments: