Thursday, April 30, 2015

Staying Connected 2015 - 2044

Staying connected electronically can be a real challenge. There are so many different means of communication that the options are truly in plenty for your choosing. I have lived just long enough currently to have personally witnessed some real changes in the way we communicate and stay connected. When I think about the future I wonder what devices we will be using in the year 2044? I wrote "we" because I am planning on being around for the year 2044. After all I will only be 80 years of age that year and I cannot think of a reason why I should plan on departing life prior to that, unless The Lord Jesus just really needs me in Heaven! Growing-up I know what a 'party line' is and there are some of you that do to. However, there is a totally different generation that is no doubt thinking it means something totally different. When you had an emergency often times you would have to say, hey I hate to ask but I've got a phone call or an emergency and everyone would hang up their telephones and allow you to place your call. Ease dropping, sure that happened all the time and you didn't need a court order to listen in either. Just pick up your phone in your house and listen at your neighbors conversations all you wanted too. Of course the most common expression would be to say, "hey, I don't know whose listening but this is a private conversation, hang up the phone". I guess those days were really the good ole days and we just didn't know it. If you want to have a conversation about communication just as your grandchildren or nephews and nieces if they know what a pay phone is? Facebook, Instagram, Snap, and a hundred different applications help people stay connected. I remember when e-mail was introduced to the world and today only the real dinosaurs of human existence have remained disconnected from the possibilities. There was a time when every student who enrolled in college would register for a college mail box to receive mail and packages from home, but not today. A fun survey might be to ask college students how much does it cost to mail a letter, their answers might surprise us. With options to receive bills electronically, and with options that allow you to pay your bills with electronic drafts the way we stay connected is ever changing. With all the choices we have to stay connected electronically I am not sure what the future holds for us to select from but I'm sure there will be several different styles to select from whatever the options might be in 2044. One option for effective communication that has not vanished with the modernization of electronics has been old fashion conversation. Just talking to one another is still the most effective means of communication and I am not ready to give up on that option in 2015 or 2044. Let's stay connected and talk. Until then

No comments: