Sunday, May 2, 2010

Legal..what a word for discussion

The great debate is on….”who is legal?” Of all the words we can use there are a handful of words that can create great debates and legal is one of those. Given the current political climate usage of the word today yields to one conversation. It describes those that have entered our country illegally. Not sure what your held political position is regarding this subject matter, but I believe there are very clear Christian positions.
I strongly believe in the melting pot image I was taught regarding America. We are a Country that should have welcoming boarders and under our law we do permit certain percentages and numbers from all across the world to the America through legal request, work permits, visa’s, and yes, even the opportunity to Pledge Allegiance to The United States of America.
Three years ago I met a family that had sought legal entry into America and this past fall became legal citizens of the United States. Their pride in taking the pledge is a badge of honor for them and for their families. El Salvador is a place on the globe ridden with war, strife and civil unrest. To sit and listen to their stories of watching family members being killed through illegal coups and of their dream and journey to America will create a grateful heart for the unique privilege I was born into as a Citizen of the U.S.
In grade school and high school I was taught rules and regulations. I was taught to believe that these were guidelines that kept things on a even opportunity field, yet hard work and commitment would always outshine those that just stood and waited for the “lucky spot” of life. As a Christian I cannot find any where the Bible supports luck, or that attitude that so many seem to believe and hope in today. In life, I have met many people in many different living styles and conditions. Only in America have I really discovered that to have more means you are a better person in comparison to many. Go to Brazil and you will not discover race an issue in that country. Go to Haiti and you will discover happy people even in the midst of their disaster. Visit our own country, go to Louisiana and you will find folks still without a house, yet something keeps them going and smiling through it all.
As a Citizen of the United States I believe in working for a living and I also believe in providing for those that are unable to help themselves. As a Christian I believe the principal of the Bible, no work, no food too. We all know individuals who are milking the welfare system and I have built into my life a certain percentage for that, knowing that sometimes you must give to those that don’t need in order to reach those that do. Does this mean I support wasteful abuse, obviously not, but life is about the gray. From the earliest memories of my life I had chores. Things to do that supported my family. I grow up doing things like going to grocery store for my family, or picking up an item that was needed. It is very common today to hear child who do nothing for their parents when they provide answers like, “I don’t want to, you do it”. As a Christian I was taught to honor my parents and to respect others around me, which included doing what I may not want to do simply because I was asked, or it was the proper thing to do.
My love for America is unwavering. My love for my Savior is stronger then unwavering. It is battle proven and has survived the storms of life.

Until then

No comments: